First Utility Standing Charge/Unit Rate Price Hike

Options
I have a duel fuel account with First Utility on tariff iSave v6.

I received a letter from First Utility on Saturday 9th April (letter dated 1st April!!) announcing updates to their prices.

The unit rate for electricity has risen from 11.160 to 12.495 and the unit rate for gas from 2.271 to 3.135 which I suspect is broadly in line with other utilities. But the standing charge has risen for electricity from 6.846 to 36.75 per day and gas from 31.763 to 69.30 per day. Why??

I questioned First Utility about the standing charge price rise and they tried to justify the rise by explaining that they didn't put their prices up before the winter period. But how can they use the rising price of energy wholesale prices to justify such a massive hike in the standing charge?!!

Comments

• ollski
    ollski Posts: 943 Forumite
    Options
    I have a duel fuel account with First Utility on tariff iSave v6.

I received a letter from First Utility on Saturday 9th April (letter dated 1st April!!) announcing updates to their prices.

The unit rate for electricity has risen from 11.160 to 12.495 and the unit rate for gas from 2.271 to 3.135 which I suspect is broadly in line with other utilities. But the standing charge has risen for electricity from 6.846 to 36.75 per day and gas from 31.763 to 69.30 per day. Why??

I questioned First Utility about the standing charge price rise and they tried to justify the rise by explaining that they didn't put their prices up before the winter period. But how can they use the rising price of energy wholesale prices to justify such a massive hike in the standing charge?!!

Just leave them like everyone else :D
  • Lekeux
    Options
    They have changed their prices every four months for the last two years, The company stance is that they hope you do not notice the Standing Charge and if you do they will try and tell you it is due to the rise in Wholesale Fuel costs this is not true, As a company they are running at a loss and as Morgan Stanley now have a 9.99% of shares of the company they are under pressure to start turning a profit. When V5 was launched they found they were £70 a year cheaper than the next cheaper supplier, the next day Version six was released which was £65 more expensive on avg than V5, The company is very sneaky and will try and prevent you from leaving them at all costs, I would suggest you phone or e-mail Mark Daeche and see if you get any help from the top as he seems to be the only one who cares about the customer
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just leave them like everyone else

I'm surprised anyone is still with them.
  • MONEYPENNY
    MONEYPENNY Posts: 63 Forumite
    Options
    Will the last customer please turn off the lights and lock the door behind you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure