My registered gas meter runs to another apartment!

Options
bwals92
bwals92 Posts: 61 Forumite
I moved into a small one bedroom flat, in a block of three in November 2009. The gas meters are outside, and the one with 'my' serial number has a pipe linking to the flat opposite mine. There is another meter which runs a pipe into my flat, which doesn't seem to be using a lot of gas (and I don't!).

Anyway, I need guidance on how to get this checked by somebody.
I'm with Scottish Power at the moment, and I'm a private tenant.

Also, I need to know how and if I can claim back any overpaid expenses.

Thanks

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    First thing you need to do is report the problem to SP. You may win, you may lose.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    call scottish power and request a trace and label - which means they send a metering engineer out to actually check the meter follow the pipes and ensure the right one is registered to your property.
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi bwals92,

This does sound like you are paying for your neighbours gas supply and vice versa.

The best thing you can do is drop me an e-mail at [EMAIL="onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com"]onlinecomplaints@scottishpower.com[/EMAIL] with your account details and both meter serial numbers, also a reading of both meters may be helpfull.

Kind Regards

Graeme @ ScottishPower
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • bwals92
    bwals92 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    I called Scottish Power, and they forwarded it to GTC pipelines, who've helped me do a burns test on the meter. It turns out that we were paying for our neighbours gas, and they're going to switch it and send the report to scottish power themselves.

I also have a bill from EDF for a short period of time where the meters were still crossed. I've already called them and told them, but they claim to have an 'accurate' reading from December 2nd (not sure how, because I haven't read the 'correct' meter until today). It seems like they're not listening or not understanding, I'm glad I switched to Scottish Power.

What will happen next to determine how much I'm to be billed from scottish power? I think I've already made three monthly dual-fuel payments, but the start meter reading for the gas would still be inaccurate. :huh:
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi bwals92,

I am glad you seem to be getting somewhere.

GTC will send ScottishPower the correct details as you have stated above, we would then re-bill your account using the correct meter details. It may be that we are able to obtain actual readings, which we can use for the date you started with us alternatively we would ahve to try and estiamte a new start reading. We will also let your previous supplier know that we have made changes to your account, it will be up to them however if they act on the information we provide.

If you have any problems let me know.

Kind Regards

Graeme @ ScottishPower
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure