Gas consumption estimating

Options
dglp
dglp Posts: 27 Forumite
I'm attempting to find out whether my gas consumption is realistic, and what I should expect to use/pay.

I have a two room flat with a 4-bar gas fire and a two-burner gas cooker. I use the cooker for 15-30 minutes a day, and I tend to keep the fire on at its lowest setting, which is a fraction of one bar. The flat is on a corner, and has floor-to-ceiling double glazing on one side. It's not drafty!

Is there a reliable way of estimating estimated consumption (& cost) on that basis? Are there charts showing typical consumption for various types of dwellings?

As an aside, I don't have easy access to the gas meter as it is in a part of the building that someone else controls. (Gas Co doesn't have access either, and hasn't done a reading since May 2010). So I can't easily monitor consumption. But my interest is whether there are ways of predicting what my consumption should be.

Also: over in the Gas & Elec FAQ thread, there's a link to energywatch - which is now defunct, as Energywatch is now part of Consumer Focus.

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You have a legal right to access the meter, as does the supplier. Enforce it. No one can predict your consumption with any accuracy, you need to read the meter.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • dglp
    dglp Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks.

Part of my query is about what's typical for a given size dwelling.
    Are there no estimate charts?
    macman wrote: »
    You have a legal right to access the meter, as does the supplier. Enforce it. No one can predict your consumption with any accuracy, you need to read the meter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure