MSE News: Northern Rock pulls five-year saver after email flood

2»

Comments

• gozomark
    gozomark Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    poppy10 wrote: »
    Interest rates could easily hit 4% by next year, and there will be higher savings rates available.

well they could, but extremely unlikely given the fiscal tightening - more likely is rates 1-2%, and 4% fix will probably still look very good
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    gozomark wrote: »
    well they could, but extremely unlikely given the fiscal tightening - more likely is rates 1-2%, and 4% fix will probably still look very good

I agree, with low wage settlements and the Vat increase dropping out my money will be on sub 2% inflation in 2012.
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • Gorgeous_George
    Gorgeous_George Posts: 7,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    MSE clearly made a difference. The offer was withdrawn far quicker than it would otherwise have been - making it unavailable for people who genuinely would like a 5 year deal at 4%.

Did NR anticipate the MSE effect - a kind of double bluff? They (NR) have attracted funds (as planned) very quickly and many savers will not leave in a year's time while others will need to forego the 6 months interest to get their money in a hurry.

My guess is that the same amount of money has been moved to NR as would have been without MSE's free advertising - just much quicker.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • TCA
    TCA Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    poppy10 wrote: »
    TBH you'd have to be crazy to invest in a long-term fix at the moment. Interest rates could easily hit 4% by next year, and there will be higher savings rates available.

I humbly disagree. Even if bank rates hit 4% next year, which I severely doubt, I don't think we'll see a proportionate increase in savers rates.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure