We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Crispy crispy snip snip! And a big thank-you
Sassers
Posts: 1,303 Forumite
I had to share this with you all -yesterday I paid off the remaining £400 off my Capital One credit card that I’ve had for over six years.
In the grand scheme of things it isn’t a lot in my overall debt, but it means I’ve broken the cycle on it: paying £20/£30 per month and then re-spending on it.
Today in true MSE-style, I ceremoniously chopped up the card at my desk with the sharpest pair of scissors I could find.
Crispy crispy snip snip indeed! Especially the sound of the chip! Lovely! :T
(I have however requested all my six years worth of statements from Capital One before I shut the account and have them to reclaim my charges. Harr Harr!)
Next week I am going to make the full and final settlement payment on my £75 a month Lloyds Buy now, Pay Later loan as well.:eek:
I’d just like to say that thanks to all the help, love, advice and support I’ve had on this site I have paid off my £5k student loan, paid off my £250 Evans card, paid off my £400 Capital One card and made the final payment push (over half the amount) towards paying off the £3000 Lloyds loan.:D
I had my lightbulb moment in the middle of September thanks to someone at work claiming back their bank charges, and seeing Martin on telly so she sent me here…
I must admit the bulb had been flickering for sometime, but I actually had a full-on floodlit Olympic stadium kind of moment – with dancers, fireworks, choirs, singers and warning bells too!
Bejing eat yer heart out I tell you!:eek:
Since then, I have done my own SOA and really hammered bills down and done the MSE old style stuff, which to be honest was a revelation, not because I hadn’t done it before, but because I’ve been doing it for years!
I finally found like-minded spirits who could turn a tea-cosy and a wooden ruler into a three piece sofa and luxury coffee table, that kind of thing.:rotfl:
I’ve started Ebaying again and the money I’ve made each week has enabled me not to take a second job to pay my debts. I worked it out I’d have done – with my full time job - almost 80 hours a week for not a lot more money.
That kind of existence of never seeing my O/H and being exhausted all the time really scared me.
So thanks to you all for remotivating me to clear out the house, and go bargain hunting out and about for finds in charity shops and carboots. :T
It also means I get up earlier to check Ebay stuff and also have more time to do household chores c/o Old Style. My time and management of it has changed dramatically thanks to MSE and MSEr’s.:A :T :A
I’ve got a `Feed the Zebra’ mortgage money pot, joined Pigsback and Quidco, am about to start making all my Christmas pressies, take lunch into work every day now, and have started plans to claim back my bank/cc charges in 2007 and switch my mortgage over to the One Account.
If I continue as I am and do the mortgage and claim-back thing, I will expect to be debt-free by the start of 2008.:D

To all the MSE’rs who have just started, and to those who are having a hard time of it, please keep going and don’t give in . You can do it. It’s bloody hard slog, a nightmare at times but oh so worth it…..:money:
And to all the `regulars’ such as Southern Scouser, Moozie, Immoral-angel, ZTD, Oakdale-Minx, CAFCgirl, Rog2, MikeSt Helens and the many, many others who I look forward to seeing here, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for making my debt-strangled world into a place where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thank-you, thank-you. :beer: :A :T :beer: :A :T
Oh dear bit teary now - must get back to work!!! lol
Love Sassers x
In the grand scheme of things it isn’t a lot in my overall debt, but it means I’ve broken the cycle on it: paying £20/£30 per month and then re-spending on it.
Today in true MSE-style, I ceremoniously chopped up the card at my desk with the sharpest pair of scissors I could find.
Crispy crispy snip snip indeed! Especially the sound of the chip! Lovely! :T
(I have however requested all my six years worth of statements from Capital One before I shut the account and have them to reclaim my charges. Harr Harr!)
Next week I am going to make the full and final settlement payment on my £75 a month Lloyds Buy now, Pay Later loan as well.:eek:
I’d just like to say that thanks to all the help, love, advice and support I’ve had on this site I have paid off my £5k student loan, paid off my £250 Evans card, paid off my £400 Capital One card and made the final payment push (over half the amount) towards paying off the £3000 Lloyds loan.:D
I had my lightbulb moment in the middle of September thanks to someone at work claiming back their bank charges, and seeing Martin on telly so she sent me here…
I must admit the bulb had been flickering for sometime, but I actually had a full-on floodlit Olympic stadium kind of moment – with dancers, fireworks, choirs, singers and warning bells too!
Bejing eat yer heart out I tell you!:eek:
Since then, I have done my own SOA and really hammered bills down and done the MSE old style stuff, which to be honest was a revelation, not because I hadn’t done it before, but because I’ve been doing it for years!
I finally found like-minded spirits who could turn a tea-cosy and a wooden ruler into a three piece sofa and luxury coffee table, that kind of thing.:rotfl:
I’ve started Ebaying again and the money I’ve made each week has enabled me not to take a second job to pay my debts. I worked it out I’d have done – with my full time job - almost 80 hours a week for not a lot more money.
That kind of existence of never seeing my O/H and being exhausted all the time really scared me.
So thanks to you all for remotivating me to clear out the house, and go bargain hunting out and about for finds in charity shops and carboots. :T
It also means I get up earlier to check Ebay stuff and also have more time to do household chores c/o Old Style. My time and management of it has changed dramatically thanks to MSE and MSEr’s.:A :T :A
I’ve got a `Feed the Zebra’ mortgage money pot, joined Pigsback and Quidco, am about to start making all my Christmas pressies, take lunch into work every day now, and have started plans to claim back my bank/cc charges in 2007 and switch my mortgage over to the One Account.
If I continue as I am and do the mortgage and claim-back thing, I will expect to be debt-free by the start of 2008.:D
To all the MSE’rs who have just started, and to those who are having a hard time of it, please keep going and don’t give in . You can do it. It’s bloody hard slog, a nightmare at times but oh so worth it…..:money:
And to all the `regulars’ such as Southern Scouser, Moozie, Immoral-angel, ZTD, Oakdale-Minx, CAFCgirl, Rog2, MikeSt Helens and the many, many others who I look forward to seeing here, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for making my debt-strangled world into a place where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thank-you, thank-you. :beer: :A :T :beer: :A :T
Oh dear bit teary now - must get back to work!!! lol
Love Sassers x
Current debt and mortgage: £25, 820.35 Debt/Mortgage at start: £92,598 (27/09/2010)
DEBT FREE!
DEBT FREE!
0
Comments
-
well done as you can see from my sig Capital one are my least favorite debt.Barclaycard 3800
Nothing to do but hibernate till spring
0 -
I recently got rid of my capital one too. Took me 1/2 hr on the phone to get the indian call centre person to understand that I wanted to pay my balance in full and close the account.. eejits...Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
Que sera, sera.
0 -
Well done Sassers! What an achievement! (and an intriguing thread title!!)Overpay!0
-
Well Done. You're going great guns. Seems to be a lot of progress going on today.
Regards,
FatJock0 -
Well done Sassers! :TBank Balance: In the black for the moment.
Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
0 -
well done and keep up that brilliant work. You have/are doing so well.
It truely is infectious isn't it
Well done!!!
Vics
xx:jSainsbury CC - £1597.25 0% 18 mths left £37.57 Per month DD
Savings Goals 6500K / 10000K0 -
Excellent, well done you :T You sound so delighted, it's lovely!If you can't be a good example, be a dire warning

MBNA charges and interest frozen
Egg/DLC repayment agreement reached
Feels like progress!0 -
Well done! Keep going you have really got off to an amazing start. It is a slog whether it is 1 year or 21 years just remember the end result will be so worth it.Debtfree JUNE 2008 - Thank you MSE:T0
-
Well done, that's fab, you've done really well :j0
-
wow thanks everyone - I didn't think so many MSE'rs would be interested ! You were the first people I wanted to tell - and I wanted to tell someone - as my family don't know all the gory details and I want to keep it that way to be honest! And yes I am delighted, and yes it is infectious...
Shall we all grab hands and make a run for that light at the end of the tunnel?
lol
Lots of love to you all
Sas xCurrent debt and mortgage: £25, 820.35 Debt/Mortgage at start: £92,598 (27/09/2010)
DEBT FREE!0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
