2-3 Fixed Term + Multiple Online Deposits + £Low Opening Deposit

Options
Hi. i have never saved before and find it really hard to start. basically if i got money it gets spent. i have looked at the top accounts but they dont seem to be to my requirements.

i need some advice for my situation please.

I plan to move to Australia in 3-4 Years time from now. so need a fair whack to get me settled over there. and for piece of mind i'd like a little cushion money incase im out of work at all within the first year.

requirements:

1. £200 opening balance (im new to saving!)
2. be able to make unlimited deposits weekly as and when im paid.
3. good interest rate.
4. to NOT be able to touch the money in the account for the fixed term of 3 years or 180 days notice (if i decide to up and leave early)
5. would prefer online access to view balance and make payments.

so thats what i think is best for me. what do you peeps think?
any better options out there? or can you suggest something different, or that works better?

many thanks for your time.

Sem. ;)

Comments

• Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    Semi wrote: »
    1. £200 opening balance (im new to saving!)
    2. be able to make unlimited deposits weekly as and when im paid.
    The majority of fixed-rate accounts will only permit a single opening deposit or additional deposits while the issue is available to new savers.
    3. good interest rate.
    As above - fixed-interest is probably out, so be prepared to keep an eye on the rate you are receiving and to move to a different account when rates (inevitably) change - don't just deposit cash and assume that you are still getting a good rate, banks rely on this type of saver inertia to boost their profits.
    4. to NOT be able to touch the money in the account for the fixed term of 3 years or 180 days notice (if i decide to up and leave early)

You'd probably need to look at term accounts or regular saver accounts to meet this requirement - or learn to discipline yourself.
    5. would prefer online access to view balance and make payments.
    Most accounts probably offer this. Comparison sites, such as moneysupermarket, moneyfacts, etc., will show how accounts can be accessed - branch/post/telephone/internet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure