Jsa/IS/Hb capital limit

Am i right in thinking that you are allowed 6k in capital without getting any deductions of that particular benefit you are claiming?

Its for somebody else and just want to confirm what i thought.

Thanks...

Comments

• healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Yes £6000 is the lower Capital limit.
  • A-Wing
    A-Wing Posts: 121 Forumite
    all capital below £6000 is disregarded and then they use a tarriff income on anything on top of that ... £1 per whole or part £250 if you are aged less than 60, or £1 per whole or part £500 if you are over 60
    Windows is the path to the darkside...Windows leads to Blue Screen. Blue Screen leads to downtime. Downtime leads to suffering...I sense much Windows in you.
  • Ross01
    Ross01 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Yes its 6000 but you will still need to show your last two months statements for all bank/building society statements you posses even if your savings are under 6 grand.
  • Have just read all DWP rules on owning a property that you don't occupy. Can anyone confirm that I have read it correctly that all capital above £6,000 is ignored where the following applies (taken directly from DWP site):

If you are carrying out essential repairs or alterations so that you can live in the property
    The value of the property may be ignored as part of your capital for the first 26 weeks after you start doing this. And it may be ignored for longer than this if you are really finding it difficult to finish the work.

If you are trying to sell the property
    The value of the property may be ignored as part of your capital for the first 26 weeks after you start trying to sell it. And it may be ignored for longer than this if you are really finding it difficult to sell the property.

I have been doing up my owned property for the last 16 weeks - things like a massive hole in roof, total re-wiring etc so that it is actually fit to put on the market.

Does that mean the capital is ignored until I sell it (it'll go on the market as soon as I finish repairs). The children and I live with my boyfriend and he claimed Income Support (and recently higher DLA) as he is disabled and I am his carer.
    Integrity is a dying art!:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport