PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

As The Workhouse Approaches....How To Do Everything To Avoid It, the Old Style Way

Options

Comments

• Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:..just spat my tea all over the laptop and laughed my head off..fake semen:rotfl:..thats just put me right off having a go at it..:rotfl::rotfl:..
    ftm
    I find that if nothing else I act as a "cautionary tale" :rotfl:

I'm seeing the funny side now the kitchen is clean and there's actual milk in the fridge next to the jug of it. I'll let you know if I'm still chuckling after I make hot choccy with it.
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JoJo, you mentioned about ransoms - could I ask where you got them from please? I know of someone who is looking out for them but has not had any joy in finding any yet.

TIA

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    They were liberated from the MIL's garden, KB, as her bungalow was built on the edge of woodland with a stream running down the bottom of the garden. Sorry I can't be much more help, but I do remember seeing one of the seed companies (thinking might have been Thompson & Morgan) had seeds for them in the garden centre along with the herbs.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • stiltwalker
    stiltwalker Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all - love the new title! Like to think that OH would be grafting in the mill across the road to keep us out of the workhouse though but we certainly wouldn't be living in this house as this row although it was built by the mill was definiately posh enough for overseers!!!! These days the mill is overpriced (but rather lovely) flats and we can (just about) afford to rent this place.

Glad to hear everyone's gardens are coming on well - mine is also doing well as planted loads of early stuff this year so may even have our first radishes out of the garden this week and the cut and come again salad in the plastic greenhouse is almost there too. Hoping by the summer I can cut down our veg box from the farmshop at the bottom of the road but might just get him to put fruit in instead of the things I grow and stop buying that from the supermarket as would rather support local business than big stuff. Unfortunately the farmshop is just too expensive for fruit in the winter and can't totally stop buying it as DD (2) is a fruit monster and it is so good for her!

OH is looking forward to Sunday as he has a month off (2 weeks hol followed by 2 weeks paternity - DS WILL have arrived by then by hook or by crook!) But then again I've not shown him the size of the list I've written him yet !!!!!

For whoever mentioned kohl rabbi (sorry forgotten already - blame baby brain) it really is delish and lovely crunchy texture in salads but related to cabbage so would have thought it'd probably need netting to keep the dreaded cabbage white catapillars away. Must admit not been brave enough to try anything they like to munch after my first year's disaster of those green pointy caulis which got demolished overnight - literally. Have enough problems keeping down the slugs here. Combination of nematodes, organic slug pellets, doing ALL seedlings in pots first (paper ones for the things that really don't like their roots messing with) and a BIG PAIR OF SCISSORS at dusk just about keeps them at bay.
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    edited 28 April 2011 at 11:27AM
    Options
    Morning everyone :)

A lovely new thread with a great title :)

Fab pictures JoJo - well done you on everything you're growing :T

As I mentioned on the other thread, my lovely Dad has surprised me by ordering me some vegetable plants from an online company.

He can't remember exactly what he ordered (he did it via post and didn't keep a note of the items) so I checked with them today as to exactly what I will be receiving - so that I can work out how many growing containers and compost I will need - and winging their way to me are:-

6 Shirley Tomato Plants
    6 Sweet & Neat Tomato Plants
    3 Cucumber Plants
    3 Courgette Plants
    1 Aubergine Plant
    6 Sweet Pepper Plants &
    6 Chilli Pepper Plants ....... a total of 31 :eek:

I've never grown 'owt in the way of vegetables - except cress on cotton wool as a small child, and I don't think that counts :rotfl: - so my first stumbling block is, how much compost I will need?

Since my car failed it's MOT last year, I now have no car, and not being able to carry large quantities of anything on a bus, and because I have limited funds, I will be growing all my plants in these:
    IDShot_225x225.jpg
    They're wine carriers. They have material sewn in to accommodate 6 bottles of wine (which is easy enough to snip out) and they measure 26.5cmW (10½") 31.5cmH (12½") by 15cmD (6")

I don't like asking anyone for favours, but all my friends and family live 200 miles away, so I've had to ask DDs boyfriend if he would mind giving me a lift to the nearest garden centre to me - which is H0mebase - and he kindly said he would (although I will give him petrol money) so I will be buying the 33L Grow Bags from there.

So would someone be kind enough to give me a "rough" guide as to how many 33L bags I will need? I was thinking 10, but really I have no idea if that is way off the mark or not.

Thank you :)
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • Softstuff
    Softstuff Posts: 3,086 Forumite
    Options
    For anyone interested the home-made rice milk makes a pretty reasonable thick hot choccy. The only downside was I used a little cooking choccy in there (in addition to sugar and cocoa) and was left with some lumps.... that doesn't normally happen to me with normal milk, so thinking it reacted badly to the water in the rice milk.

Tomorrow I may use the remaining half pint whizzed with some reduced roasted pumpkin as a cream of pumpkin soup.

I don't recall the last food item wasted in this house, no matter how dubious it looked :D
    Softstuff- Officially better than 007
  • bertiebots
    bertiebots Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    edited 28 April 2011 at 11:58AM
    Options
    Just popping in to say hello..like the new thread title. Images of Oliver Twist and people shouting "oi work house" spring to mind.
    But joking aside I count my blessings that I dont live in the bad old days of baby farming and debters prisons. I would probably be sharing one room the size of a broom cupboard with my 3 starving urchins by now. (if I was lucky enough to find any accomadation that is). As a single mother I may even have been banished by the local parish or similar!:(

Anyway wish me luck I am about to phone the bank:eek:
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200:D FEB GC £197.31 out of £180:o. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    Options
    redlady - we swapped to O2 for BB last year and its been great no hassles with them at all. Definitely recommend them.
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Options
    I have a question, possibly Jojo will be the person with the answer. I have been inundated with masonry bees in the front walls of the house. Now while I know they are harmless, I don't want them causing any long term damage to the structure of the building, what can I possibly make the to lure them away? Some sort of brick built mini wall thing?
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • Hippeechiq
    Hippeechiq Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    edited 28 April 2011 at 12:19PM
    Options
    redlady_1 wrote: »
    I am looking for a new broadband provider but am a bit scared to leave BT. I have my mobile with O2 so am looking at them. Anyone got any experience as I need reliability?
    Redlady I've been with O2 BB for 2 years this month and I can't fault them at all. Having previously been with A0L (sorry to swear) for 8 years, I can say that it's an absolute pleasure to be with 02 instead.

No download caps, (which a lot of BB providers have) uninterrupted connection at superb speed and the call centres are UK based and free and they're extremely helpful in every way :D
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport