'The word pedants' top 10 | It's specific, not Pacific...' blog discussion.

Options

Comments

• MrGumby
    MrGumby Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    We've had so many of these language threads on The Arms and on DT. Those of us who object to careless use of language are pilloried as pedants.

More people in the media need to speak up for correct language.
    I couldn't agree more. I don't mind language evolving (would we want to be speaking Elizabethan or even Victorian English?) but, when English, arguably the richest language in the world, becomes impoverished or loses accuracy, that's a different matter.

And so to another pet hate (I speak as one who accepts the occasional use of 'And' to start a sentence). Awesome.

The 'awesome' phenomenon hit the States several years ago and I was dreading its arrival here. Awesome should mean 'hugely impressive, inspiring awe'. It's hard to imagine that anything could be more impressive than something described as awesome, and yet now it is applied to anything vaguely interesting. How sad.
  • libertino
    libertino Posts: 217 Forumite
    Options
    LydiaJ wrote: »
    I am frequently irritated by a confusion between 'rent' and 'let'. Landlords let properties when they charge people money to live in them. Tenants rent properties when they pay to have a home. We don't have this confusion between 'buy' and 'sell', so why do people find it so difficult?

I didn't know the difference before I read your post. It makes "To Let" boards nonsensensical, doesn't it? I read that as meaning "this property is available to let" when it is in fact "available to rent." I suppose it is true to say that "the landlord wishes to let out this property" but that isn't how it reads.

If I rent a car, what is the car dealer doing? Is the car dealer renting the car to me?
  • prudencekitten
    Options
    One of my (many) pet hates is the use of "barter" instead of "haggle". To haggle is to negotiate a lower price, to barter is to offer something other than cash for goods. People claim to have bartered in foreign bazaars. What did they offer in lieu of cash?

In songs I hate "wich you" instead of "with you". And of course "ax" for "ask".
  • spowers
    spowers Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    My pet hates - and they may be Gloucestershire sayings - are

get given (as in "We get given a car park permit")

off of (as in "The man got off of a bus")
  • Jublet
    Jublet Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone get annoyed by being asked to "fill out" a form? Try filling out a hole! You don't fill things out, you fill them in. And please don't mention "Haitch" to me.
  • Tarot
    Tarot Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I agree with all these and also people say 'I've took' instead of 'I've taken' , 'I've broke' instead of 'I've broken' and 'you was' instead of 'you were'.

I'm beginning to sound like my mother!!
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "My Bad" - Another US import that I hate. - apparently it means "my mistake" or "my fault".
  • andelainedream
    Options
    Another becoming more common and in the same category as shtreet/shtring for street/string etc is the replacement of d with j e.g. in jraw for draw etc.
    Why?
  • abby1234519
    abby1234519 Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    Options
    As a student I will admit (and I am an English Literature student so even more shameful) I say "It was like amazing" or "Basically..." Or "I literally laughed myself to death"

I can't help it :(
    Money money money.

Debt
    Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99

#28 Pay off debt in 2017 £3803.55
  • abby1234519
    abby1234519 Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    Options
    But I say Aitch not Haitch!
    Money money money.

Debt
    Dec 2016: [STRIKE]£25,158.71[/STRIKE] £21,999.99