'The word pedants' top 10 | It's specific, not Pacific...' blog discussion.

Options

Comments

• Gorgeous_George
    Gorgeous_George Posts: 7,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buy Now, Pay Later.

If you are paying later, you are not buying now.

It should say....

Have now, pay too much for it when it's worth less.

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • nathanlock
    Options
    my pet hate is the corruption of the word next.
    If today is a Monday, next Tuesday is tomorrow, not Tuesday next week!
    Elsewhere in English the word "next" always means the nearest one: "the next petrol station", "the next time you do that". There is no question about skipping to the one after.
  • Gorgeous_George
    Gorgeous_George Posts: 7,964 Forumite
    Options
    When asked...

Have you lived in the UK all your life?

The answer is 'Not yet'.

:)

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • nathanlock
    Options
    access and excess is another one people seem to think are interchangeable.
  • Gerth
    Gerth Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 6 April 2011 at 9:50PM
    Options
    Olokia wrote: »
    No it is pronounced as "Onour" but there are even more words with the "Haitch" pronounced such as Hospital, Holiday, Hearing, Hero, etc

So following your logic a word like Pneumonia means the P must be pronounced as "Ee" instead of "Pee".

That's just silly

Please, stop arguing about it, you can go on all day... Just look it up in any dictionary... Please!
    It's aitch, eych, (however you want to spell it) there is no 'h' pronounced at the start of the letter "h"
    Never has been. If it sounds wrong to you it's because you've been surrounded by people who pronounce it incorrectly all your life. Sad but true. Sorry.
  • CraftyCow
    Options
    Although you don't want to handle grammar, I am loving, (and laughing at), the new Nat West advert where they say 'nothing hidden, just the facts'. I don't want them to hide the facts from me!
    My pet hates are,
    1) Free range eggs (no, they are eggs from free range chickens), - visions of loads of tiny oval shapes bowling around the farmyard.
    2) And the pronunciation of chocolate as 'choclit'!
  • CraftyCow
    Options
    Oh, and the amount of people who stand still by ordering stationary instead of stationery is horrrendous. This is because computer 'spell checkers' don't pick it up as wrong spelling, as it is just incorrect use of a word with a different meaning.
  • spandit
    spandit Posts: 150 Forumite
    Options
    CraftyCow wrote: »
    Oh, and the amount of people who stand still by ordering stationary instead of stationery is horrendous. This is because computer 'spell checkers' don't pick it up as wrong spelling, as it is just incorrect use of a word with a different meaning.

I'm getting married next year, and have spotted so many people offering "Wedding Stationary". I don't want the wedding to move, but I'm still not buying from them if they can't get the correct word!

MS Word is also bad for your/you're - try typing a letter and quoting someone's reference: "Your reference" gets a green line under the "your", with "you're" as a suggestion!
    If you find my post helpful please press the THANKS button.
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    Olokia wrote: »
    No it is pronounced as "Onour" but there are even more words with the "Haitch" pronounced such as Hospital, Holiday, Hearing, Hero, etc

So following your logic a word like Pneumonia means the P must be pronounced as "Ee" instead of "Pee".

That's just silly

Q. Why can't you hear a pterodactyl go to the toilet?

P. Because it has a silent P.

GG
  • firstinflight
    Options
    Buy Now, Pay Later.

If you are paying later, you are not buying now.

Wrong. The contract of sale has been formed, title to the goods and all associated risks and rewards have been transferred. It doesn't matter whether you paid up front or took credit, you bought now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure