We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Payplan Interview Pack - Question about listing assests...

Hiya

I'm just completing Payplan's interview questionnaire, it asks about personal assests...

MOTOR VEHICLES please give make and age.


Does this mean that you creditors could ask you to sell listed assests?

Panic running thru me just now...... if the answer is yes, would I be better not listing my car as an assest and change ownership to my sister?

DC :confused:
All going to plan I'll be debt free March 2010....3 years and counting... :T
«1

Comments

  • Hi,
    I think it would depend on your situation. They asked me the same question and I was honest and told them - they have not asked me to sell it.
    However, I doubt it would raise much, say £700, and it's worth much more than that to me as it means I can work longer hours being able to drive my daughter to babysitters and get me into work earlier etc.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts:dance:
    Lightbulb moment 16th November 2006: Debts totalling £28,584.49:eek:
    Mutual Supporters Club Member! (Nov 2006) :grouphug:
    DFW Nerd 252 :cool:
  • Thanks

    My car is valued about £4500....... can't sell car cos I took a loan out for car and to cover previous car finance, so the value of the loan is more than the value of the car..... and the loan is in my mother's name......

    Don't know what to do about this!? Should I just ask Payplan advice?
    All going to plan I'll be debt free March 2010....3 years and counting... :T
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Perhaps you should transfer ownership to your mother.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

    HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

    DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • You would only need to sell the car if it came down to bankruptcy... but even then if you can prove you need the car for work then they won't make you get rid of it. I think they just want a realistic idea of your situation.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • I'd tell PayPlan, to be honest...

    Have you told them about the loan in your mum's name? what do they say about that; surely entering into a DMP will affect her credit rating, or have you already told her?

    Sorry if I'm being a bit too probing here, just curious!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts:dance:
    Lightbulb moment 16th November 2006: Debts totalling £28,584.49:eek:
    Mutual Supporters Club Member! (Nov 2006) :grouphug:
    DFW Nerd 252 :cool:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,483 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Same here, I was just honest. I am in the process of selling the car because we need a bigger one for the baby and all the gear that goes with it. Im hoping to get a good price - buy an older,bigger car and save the rest. Don't ask, don't get.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • I'd tell PayPlan, to be honest...

    Have you told them about the loan in your mum's name? what do they say about that; surely entering into a DMP will affect her credit rating, or have you already told her?

    Sorry if I'm being a bit too probing here, just curious!

    No you're not being too probing ;) ..... Yeah, I've already told Payplan about the car situation and they advised that is it viewed as being my mum's debt not mine, so it won't affect her if I go on a DMP........ she doesn't know about my finances........ although I was thinking about tell her about DMP, without giving her all the figures..... she has enough worries at the mo without worrying more about me.....
    All going to plan I'll be debt free March 2010....3 years and counting... :T
  • rog2 wrote:
    Perhaps you should transfer ownership to your mother.

    Mum doesn't have a licence so would that affect insurance?
    All going to plan I'll be debt free March 2010....3 years and counting... :T
  • madduck
    madduck Posts: 291 Forumite
    The loan is in your mum's name, but do you give her the money for the repayments? That might be harder to explain in your income/expenditure figures!
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Mum doesn't have a licence so would that affect insurance?

    No reason that it should. You can remain as the registered user/keeper - even if the title of the car belongs to your mum.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

    HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

    DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.