High Yield Investment - never done it before, how do I get into it?

Options
I want to invest in a HYI but don't know where to invest or how much, does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,639 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What sort of high yield? Bonds, Equities, Structured products etc?
    What sort of risk?

What made you choose high yield or not any of the other strategies?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • AndiW_2
    AndiW_2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    What sort of high yield? Bonds, Equities, Structured products etc?
    What sort of risk?

What made you choose high yield or not any of the other strategies?

I'm not sure of the difference between the different types, the reason I chose high yield investments was due to the high intrest rates that they offer.

I would be looking to invest a small amount of money for high risk high intrest to earn money quicker, is this possible with HYI?

Thanks.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 April 2011 at 3:03PM
    Options
    A promise of higher yield comes with a high risk of losing all your money otherwise why would anyone put their money into a low yield investment?

If you don't have the basic knowledge of the differences between the types then it seems unlikely these will be the right products for you.

Investing a small amount of money will probably mean charges will take a large chunk out of your investments.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    I'm not sure of the difference between the different types, the reason I chose high yield investments was due to the high intrest rates that they offer.

Investments dont generally earn interest unless its fixed interest sector (bonds, gilts etc).
    I would be looking to invest a small amount of money for high risk high intrest to earn money quicker, is this possible with HYI?

You could go 100% high yield bonds but that wouldnt be very effective as far as diversification goes and you could lose typically up to around 40% in a bad period. If you are taking on that level of risk, you may as well consider equities as well, especially higher yield equities (as the point of HYP is to have a diverse portfolio of higher yielding investments. Not just one thing).

You seem to be jumping to a solution without knowing what you want. How much is a small amount?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • AndiW_2
    AndiW_2 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Ahh this is not what I imagined, I heard about a website called hyifund.com but it is American and I can't put funds in it from the uk, i heard you just keep a small amount in it and watch it grow. So I figured I could just do the same but jot using that website but it sounds although I have been mislead as it is slot more complex than I first imagined.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Options
    If you send it to me, I'll send you monthly statements so you can 'watch it grow'.

Seriously, since you have so little idea who this company is, what the investment is, what the risks/benefits are, how it works, my suggestion above is just as good as your original plan.
  • dunstonh
    Options
    So I figured I could just do the same but jot using that website but it sounds although I have been mislead as it is slot more complex than I first imagined.

You can do it in the UK using UK investments. However, there are tens if not hundreds of thousands of options and unlimited variations.

It is not complex but if you want to do it correctly then you need to put some effort in or use someone to do it for you. Random selections without any research will almost certainly let you down and you will end up disappointed. You would be better doing nothing than risking money on unresearched punts.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are plenty of posts out there claiming that your particular high yield programme is a scam

Certainly their website doesn't inspire confidence - no contact address or phone, no information about how they achieve what they claim to, no names
  • kathleenryd
    kathleenryd Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like a scam. Loads of them out there. Definitely stay away.
  • debbie42
    debbie42 Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    There is a forum on the Motley Fool dedicated to the High Yield Portfolio (HYP) approach, and a brief overview here:
    http://www.fool.co.uk/Investing/guides/The-High-Yield-Portfolio.aspx
    Debbie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family