3 Points, tell insurance company?

Options
I am a named driver on my wifes car insurance. Have just picked up 3 points for speeding. Does this affect the insurance policy? Do I have to notify them?

Comments

• brazilianwax
    Options
    The_Kaiser wrote:
    I am a named driver on my wifes car insurance. Have just picked up 3 points for speeding. Does this affect the insurance policy? Do I have to notify them?

Yes you do. You'll need to check the policy docs to see whether you have to tell them immediately, or when she renews.

Claire
    :A MSE's turbo-charged CurlyWurlyGirly:A
    ;)Thinks Naughty Things Too Much Clique Member No 3, 4 & 5 ;)
  • iceicebaby
    iceicebaby Posts: 3,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes you do as not declaring material facts can void the insurance policy. this means that if you get insurance elsewhere when they ask the question "have you ever had a policy cancelled or had any special terms imposed on it" you will have to answer yes. This will increase your premium and some insureres may also refuse to insure you.

Hope this helps;)
    Baby Ice arrived 17th April 2011. Tired.com! :j
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes and yes.
    yes you need to inform them
    yes it will affect your insurance premiums but depends on the company as to whether it effects from you tell them or from renewal.....

i had the same problem, took 5 years for it be ignored/dropped from being taken into account for new insurance
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • Fey_2
    Fey_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I've just been through this had to pay £178 in back payments for not telling them sooner (Diamond) and faced a renewal increase of £300 but have now found a much better deal (Insuresupermarket) without paying more in fact i've saved money with someone else its less than what Diamond had quoted me when i hadn't told them about the 3 points. A huge weight off my mind.

I went through weeks of do I tell other co's and pay through the nose or just keep quiet. I had people telling me I was crazy for telling the insurance company. It was really quite stressul i was tempted to keep quiet about it and feel guilty and pray i never have an incident or tell & payup and cut back on other things.
  • anniecave
    anniecave Posts: 2,443 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i would always tell them. When I got mine I notified them, and they just said they'd make a note on my file, and it wouldn't make any difference until I was renewed.
    Indecision is the key to flexibility :)
  • courtjester
    Options
    My partner is a named driver and got a fixed penalty speeding notice (camera) - £60 fine + 3 points.

When we declared it to our motor insurers at renewal, they said this was not sufficient to warrant any special terms or increase in premium - they basically don't regard this as a serious matter in isolation.

It might of course vary from insurer to insurer and depend on your situation /age etc (we are *mature* drivers:D ), but it is not worth being dishonest about offences as you might find your cover declined when you most need it....
  • The_Kaiser
    Options
    Thanks all. I advised insurers (Direct Line) of the 3 points added to license. They advised there will not be a change to my premiums this year as the offence happened after the renewal date of policy but when I come to renew next year I will probably find £30 - £50 increase. We will see.
  • shelly
    shelly Posts: 6,394 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The_Kaiser wrote:
    Thanks all. I advised insurers (Direct Line) of the 3 points added to license. They advised there will not be a change to my premiums this year as the offence happened after the renewal date of policy but when I come to renew next year I will probably find £30 - £50 increase. We will see.

If you do find an increase just shop around (I'm sure you do already ;) )
    Our insurance just gets cheaper and cheaper as I shop around every renewal time. Our ins is cheaper this year over last year and I made a claim this year.....but we're not complaining :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure