Connecting PC to MacBook Pro HELP!!!

I currently own a windows 7 home premium PC and a MacBook pro running Leopard 10.6.6

I am trying to connect my machines to the same network. I can access my MacBook pro files from my pc but I cannot see or access my pc files from my MacBook pro.!

I am sure I have the correct ip address of my pc although when I enter it into system preferences>connect to network it does not recognise it or when it does, it asks me for a username and password even though I do not have a password set up on my pc. I have a shared folder (and ensured that they are set to share) and I have ensured I have no firewall. I really don't know what else to do. I can connect them via Ethernet with no problem but I need the option of a wireless connection.

I have searched the web but I have not seen anything that works for me, I have searched all day and now I'm 'begging' for some genius out there to help me.!

Thanks in advance
'Sometimes you just need to keep your mouth shut'
:j

Comments

• KillerWatt
    KillerWatt Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    You need to assign a password to the user account on the Windows box.
    Remember kids, it's the volts that jolt and the mills that kill.
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2011 at 8:49PM
    KillerWatt wrote: »
    You need to assign a password to the user account on the Windows box.

Been there, doesn't work. Currently banging my head against the wall with the very same issue. Its partly due to Samba not working well with NTLMv2. Strangely, when no1 sons Windows XP laptop comes onto the LAN, it all starts working. Ubuntu had the same issue.

Easiest way is to go into System Preferences, Network. Click on the Advanced button then the WInS tab and type in the workgroup name then OK then Apply.

Next open finder click on Go, select Connect to Server and in the next box that pops up type in smb://<computername> where <computername> is the name of the Windows 7 computer on the network. You'll then be presented with a user/pass box if different from any account on that computer.
  • Working now thanks!

As instructed, I ensured the workgroup name was the same, went to
    Connect to server and then I was presented with the username and password box, although it did not allow me to
    Connect until I created a username on my pc that matched the one that came up on my mac.

One pc down, now it won't allow me to
    Connect with the other using the same process so I'm completely baffled. We are all on the same network so I dunno!
    'Sometimes you just need to keep your mouth shut'
    :j
  • KillerWatt
    Hammyman wrote: »
    Its partly due to Samba not working well with NTLMv2.
    Easy fix for that.

1. Run secpol.msc.
    2. Under Local Policies -> Security Options.

Change the value of "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" from:
    NTVLM2 responses only to: LM and NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.
  • Hammyman
    KillerWatt wrote: »
    Easy fix for that.

1. Run secpol.msc.
    2. Under Local Policies -> Security Options.

Change the value of "Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level" from:
    NTVLM2 responses only to: LM and NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated.

You got that from Google. Those instructions don't work on Basic and Home Premium versions of Windows Vista/7 as secpol doesn't exist.
  • KillerWatt
    Hammyman wrote: »
    You got that from Google. Those instructions don't work on Basic and Home Premium versions of Windows Vista/7 as secpol doesn't exist.
    Never came from Google Hammy, it came from the Infrant forums. I went through it years ago when playing with Vista when it first came out.
    As far as not being able to make that mod on the home versions of Windows, there's not a lot I can do about that.
  • Hammyman
    Considering XP Home, Vista Basic/Home Premium and Windows 7 Starter/Home Premium are the most common versions to come across it makes that advice all but worthless for anyone outside the corporate sector.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure