IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Cambelt

in Motoring
3 replies 666 views
Looking for a bit of expert advice.

10-y-o amazingly trouble-free Focus (60K) now needs a cambelt change. Quote from garage I trust (thorough but not cheap) £195 labour and £85 parts -- inc water pump and tensioners. Is this reasonable for south of UK?
Je suis sabot...

Replies

• TiTheRevTiTheRev Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Genuine parts or not? I'd insist on genuine for peace of mind and warranty. Price is ok though. We charge £319 at VW Dealer.
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • rev_henryrev_henry Forumite
    5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sounds about right. Have a call round another couple of garages to make sure.
  • jase1jase1 Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Well the £85 is certainly around the going rate.

Looks like 5 hours' labour at £39/hour.... probably won't take them that long but it's not unreasonable.

I took in my MK2 Focus to get its cambelt changed... my mechanic has quoted me around £220 including tensioner and water pump, not OE parts but not the cheap rubbish either. But then I'm in the north east where stuff tends to be a bit cheaper. I believe that breaks down to 4 hours * £30 labour plus £100 for the parts, just for comparison.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals