AMC or TER charges - How applied

Options
I wanted to understand how the AMC or TER charges are actual applied/taken from a Unit Trust?

I understand that the charges are taken on a daily basis, correct?

The performance charts that we view on sites such as Hargreaves Lansdown, are we seeing the Gross or Net values with respect to the AMC or TER charges?

Comments

• Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wanted to understand how the AMC or TER charges are actual applied/taken from a Unit Trust?

I understand that the charges are taken on a daily basis, correct?

The performance charts that we view on sites such as Hargreaves Lansdown, are we seeing the Gross or Net values with respect to the AMC or TER charges?

Charges are usually applied to a fund on a daily, weekly or monthly basis depending on how often it is priced.

AIUI, performance charts can be either net or gross. Anyone that tells you that gross performance matters to a small investor is on commission.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,373 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

The returns are net of retail charges. Some of the fund data suppliers allow for the display of returns net of explicit charging structures (as may well become the norm from 2013) but for now, you see them net of retail charge. (i.e. if the fund publishes an AMC of 1.5% and TER of 1.68% then the performance data is net of that. if you invested on that very day in the past, that would be your actual gain.

With certain funds and certain fund data suppliers, they may be understating the return. For example, fixed interest sector funds in an ISA can reclaim the tax paid. Unless the charting software is set to gross, it will assume net returns.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure