Options
Foggster
Foggster Posts: 1,023 Forumite
edited 21 May 2011 at 11:18AM in Debt-free wannabe
Thank you.

Comments

• brokeinlondon
    Options
    have you checked your entitlement for free school meals?

pet food seems high!!!

consider switching to freeview

I don't see any money set aside for prescriptions, but then you have a nice surplus so not really necessary :)

£45 a month for christmas presents seems high, do you have a big family? :)

all the best
    M
  • dreamdreamer
    Options
    Unless you have an extortionate APR on your mortgage you'd be better off overpaying the loan.
    :D DEBT FREE 3rd Sept 2011 :D
    (Debts at highest £15.8k Nov '08)
    Student Loan paid off July 2014
    First Direct Regular Saver #2: £2700 ** Santander 123: £13,106
    Car Insurance/Tax Fund: £305 ** Present Savings: £525 ** Disneyworld Fund £100
  • crafty*kate
    Options
    Oooh well done, I have a friend I am trying to encourage to do the same :) It's scary going out on your own but good for you!

Your budget looks good to me...water seems a little high, maybe, are you on a meter?

What pets do you have that cost £50 in food, also you have £10 pet costs but no pet insurance?

It seems like you have quite a bit of slack so you should be ok...wish my rent was only £500 :)
  • Foggster
    Options
    Thank you both.

The "Christmas" is high but this includes everything like presents, food and a trip away which we do every year.

Two cats and includes their worm and flea treatment.

I get free prescriptions.

Thank you dreamdreamer, that is food for thought and probably the way to go. I really want to get rid of that ruddy loan. Thanks for the direction.
  • Foggster
    Options
    Oooh well done, I have a friend I am trying to encourage to do the same :) It's scary going out on your own but good for you!

Your budget looks good to me...water seems a little high, maybe, are you on a meter?

What pets do you have that cost £50 in food, also you have £10 pet costs but no pet insurance?

It seems like you have quite a bit of slack so you should be ok...wish my rent was only £500 :)

Thank you Kate - I have times of feeling as sick as a dog (which I dont own) about going it alone.

I have a mortgage which is why I am desperate to hold onto the house because rents are high around here.

Water is the rates and not water meter although I am tempted now its only the two of us.
  • jinky67
    jinky67 Posts: 47,812 Forumite
    Options
    you could definitely reduce the food bill

check out the Old Style board for loads of ideas

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=235198

:A
    :heartpulsOnce a Flylady, always a Flylady:heartpuls
  • Foggster
    Options
    jinky67 wrote: »

Thank you. I have reduced to what I think it will be without the OH here so that has given me a boost. :T
  • crafty*kate
    Options
    Foggster I am sure you will be fine. Absolutely fine. I live on my own (although I don't have kids, my mum was a single parent) and although there are always those odd moments of ARGH! on the whole it is a good thing. However hard it is on your own, it is not as hard as being in a bad relationship.

It seems like you have a quite reasonable income and I can't think of anything you've missed...I suspect that if you were being really tight, some of the OldStylers would tell you that you can spend less than £200 a month on groceries, and your £20 for sandwiches and snacks, but in my opinion as long as it's not hurting you, it doesn't matter.

All the best xx
  • crafty*kate
    Options
    jinky67 wrote: »

I knew someone would say that :) (It's just cos I am rubbish with my grocery shopping, I don't feel qualified to tell other people to cut down!):rotfl:
  • jinky67
    jinky67 Posts: 47,812 Forumite
    Options
    I knew someone would say that :) (It's just cos I am rubbish with my grocery shopping, I don't feel qualified to tell other people to cut down!):rotfl:
    hey I am not that good myself:rotfl:

http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/

is also fab, but I doubt you need to be THAT strict given your income;)
    :heartpulsOnce a Flylady, always a Flylady:heartpuls
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport