We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Halifax 'Monthly Saver' @ 5.30% = less than online

Options
For the 2nd time running, Halifax plc is increasing by only 0.20% interest on its long-standing Monthly Saver a/c (not to be confused with the excellent Regular Saver), & offers only 5.30% effective Sept 1.

Halifax seems uncompetitive with Derbyshire Bdg Soc's regular monthly a/c offering 5.85%.

Instant access online a/c's (ideal for lump sum investment) seem more attractive than bothering with monthly deposits in this Halifax a/c, for eg :

5.65% AER/gross is offered by Cahoot

5.40% gross from Birmingham Midshires

5.30% gross from Leeds & Holbeck Bdg Soc

I'm immediately swapping my Standing Order to the Halifax 'Monthly Saver' from £500 per month to £5. (Rules indicate one change per year is allowed re the amount deposited.) Soon I'll be withdrawing most of my funds in the a/c, and will close it on its anniversary.

However, I aim to continue with Halifax's newer a/c Regular Saver which still exceeds others with its 6% fixed rate.

Anyone here decided on a similar action plan as me?

Comments

• Leia_Stephens
    Options
    Instant access
    I'm immediately swapping my Standing Order to the Halifax 'Monthly Saver' from £500 per month to £5. and will close it on its anniversary.

However, I aim to continue with Halifax's newer a/c Regular Saver which still exceeds others with its 6% fixed rate.

Anyone here decided on a similar action plan as me?

When I opened my Regular Saver I changed my Monthly Saver amount to £5 per month too :). In fact I used some MS funds - £250 - to open my RS, I hadn't withdrawn from this a/c prevously so I didn't lose my bonus:D.

I am sticking with the RS too, but I am hoping that it is possible to keep the monthly standing orders going into this after the anniversary date, I have not stipulated a finish date for these so's so hopefully they will continue after the year is up ;);D.

I know that, unfortunately, the first year's RS money is "automatically swept back" into "your nominated Halifax a/c", but I am planning to use this money to make up £250 for as many months as I can during the 2nd and subsequent years :).

I want this or a regular-saver-a/c-which-pays high-interest for the long-term (about 20 years) because I am saving for my nephew and don't want to subject this money to any risk.

Being a MoneySaver, perhaps I should close my MS and continue to save £5 monthly somewhere else ;).

Leia
    I want to be a good saver, but I find it difficult to control my temptation to spend :o .

I owe £1,247 more than I have in savings :( .
  • ED
    ED Posts: 617 Forumite
    Options
    Leia – sounds eminently sensible!

Just one more Base Rate rise by the Bk of England could put Derbyshire Bdg Society's regular, monthly savings a/c ahead of Halifax's Regular Saver. For instance, a 0.25% rise could boost to 6.10% Derbyshire's 5.85% rate effective September 1st. Luckily, Derbyshire allow up to £1,000 per month to be invested.

Halifax branch staff told me, last March, to leave blank the application form question re end-date for Regular Saver funding, saying, "It'll probably continue". But as you say, the anniversary balance is to be transferred (unless Halifax relax the rule, around March).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport