🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Credit Checks for Banking/Accountancy Jobs

Options
neilsbox_chart.gif Thread Stats
Originally posted this on IVA forum, don't seem to be having any luck with replys though! Anyone here help, Please!

Hi

More Questions - Thanks for everyones advice on previous threads:)

My DH is a Chartered Accountant and works for one of the big banks.

Redundancies are a huge risk at the moment and with us both about to go into a DAS (a trust deed or bankruptcy was not an option because of his job) we have one major concern. New jobs for him and credit checks:(.

Do these companies when they do a credit check look at everything - or are they just looking at any court action they may have occured? Does anyone have any experience of being credit checked for a job that can help us out?

Comments

• jenpenny
    jenpenny Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Anyone?????
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Hi jen - not sure if this is any help at all,

I think for banking jobs they do ask your permission to do a credit search and then do a full search. There are definitely people on here who work in banking so hopefully one of them will read and be able to answer for sure.

In accountancy firms you would be unlikely to be subject to a credit search. However you do have to fill in annual compliance forms and I suspect a DAS would need to be declared on there (not totally certain how a DAS stands legally) - there are copies of these fit & proper forms on the icaew website so you can see the 3 questions you need to answer with regard to creditors etc and see if you think a DAS would need to be declared http://www.icaew.com/~/media/Files/Members/Regulations-standards-and-guidance/Appendix%20B.ashx (I hope that link will work). You could possibly even ask your DAS advisor whether it should be declared based on those questions.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • jenpenny
    Options
    Thanks so much for reply Tixie. I shall relay info back to DH. I wonder if you would automatically lose membership of an accountancy professional body if you have such a thing like a das on your record. All very scary:(
  • ceh209
    ceh209 Posts: 876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi I don't know whether this will help as I only have experience with ICAEW, I'm thinking since you're in Scotland your OH may be ICAS?

Anyway, in the back of the accountancy magazines we get sent every month you get the disciplinary actions, and if someone has entered into an IVA it normally fines them about £4-500, never seen anyone excluded from membership. And they don't even print your name, it just says 'A member'. :beer:
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
  • jenpenny
    Options
    Thats great, thank you - really helpful. I know that when weighing up our options my husband said we could not go into an IVA(or trust deed as is in scotland). I am wondering if such disciplinary action is noted or charged for a DAS? He seemed to think not which came from CAB. Just the credit checks he is now wary of. It maybe means he cannot move for the next how many years and hopfully keeps his job!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport