IVA and Compensation Query

Options
Morning all,

I have a quick question and am wondering if the ever-lovely Charco or someone else with knowledge might be able to help me.

I've just been through several weeks of building-works hell with a contractor engaged by the Housing Association from whom I rent my house. They were - nominally - putting in a new kitchen and bathroom, but mostly succeeded in causing multiple problems and destroying some of my personal property. I subsequently complained to the appropriate people and they are conducting an investigation. I am anticipating a small amount of compensation for the damaged property and the distress caused (probably between £50 to £100).

My question is this: if I do receive any small amount of compensation for what happened, ought I to declare this to the IVA people? I've only got @ 18 months left to go on my IVA and I don't want to scupper things at this point by holding back info that they should have. My agreement mentions inheritances, bonuses, salary raises and windfalls but not compensation.

I know this is probable a daft question - but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• FoggyBrain_2
    FoggyBrain_2 Posts: 1,121 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. This would be one for the "ever lovely Charco" :0)

But .... I would have thought as this was money to replace or repair losses and damages you would be entitled to keep it, although it is always good form to mention such things to your IP, so that no nasty surprises come up amd bite you on the rear end in the future.
  • althas
    althas Posts: 410 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with Foggy

I would reinstate what he said and talk to your IP in a "hypothetical" scenario. With 18 months to go you do not want anything to go wrong
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary
    Those that do
    Those that dont
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • foreverautumn
    Options
    You will be fine. It may fall under the windfall scenario, which only needs to be declared if it is in excess of 500 pound. I would not worry about it at all. It will be yours to keep.
  • Charco_2
    Charco_2 Posts: 1,677 Forumite
    Options
    I'll answer anyway since you've asked so nicely (not that I would with-hold answers) but actually the question has been answered quite well here already - the base of knowledge on this site has grown immensely and incredibly since I first started posting!

You should certainly inform your IP but stick to your guns, that money is not for your IVA but to replace items lost or damaged. (Think of it this way, you're in a shop that has a policy: "you break you buy"... these builders broke, so now they are buying those items. No-one else is being forced to sell their items to fund their IVA!)

Can I ask what sort of things need replaced?

For instance, essentials like a cooker or washing machine? You could speak to your IP and ask for a payment holiday so that you could replace these items now and not wait for the compensation to come through... obviously when the compensation does come through you would have to pay it towards the IP to catch-up on the missed payments.

In the meantime, inform your IP of the circumstances just to keep him in the loop and keep everything above board but you should not have to pay over a single penny of this to your IP. Maybe even get some sort of written confirmation now that the compensation is not covered by your IVA. This could be important if you're in an IVA with a company like Payplan who change their case managers more than the tide so you'd agree one thing now that you might have to rely on when talking to someone different when the compensation actually gets paid out!
    Would you ask the wolves to look after the sheep?
    CCCS funded by banks
  • Payplan_company_representative
    Payplan_company_representative Posts: 133 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Charco wrote: »
    In the meantime, inform your IP of the circumstances just to keep him in the loop and keep everything above board but you should not have to pay over a single penny of this to your IP. Maybe even get some sort of written confirmation now that the compensation is not covered by your IVA. This could be important if you're in an IVA with a company like Payplan who change their case managers more than the tide so you'd agree one thing now that you might have to rely on when talking to someone different when the compensation actually gets paid out!

Our Case Officers are part of a team who are all experts in their field and all of whom undergo extensive training to complete their day to day jobs. We use a valuable case note system and ALL conversations with clients are clearly documented whether they be via the telephone, email or letter.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Payplan. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Charco_2
    Options
    Not an attack on your company, it's simply just good practice (whetehr in an IVA or getting new carpets laid) to have something written that can be relied upon if a difference of opinions arises
    CCCS funded by banks
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you SO much everyone for your very helpful replies. It confirms what I was thinking, but it's good to have some confirmation from wiser folks than myself!

Charco - I'm not with Payplan, but with DebtFreeDirect. Gawd bless 'em... ;)

What I'm hoping to be compensated for is the wasted rent when I had to move out of my house for five days and nights thanks to the builders' destructive actions and for a new duvet, bedsheet and (hopefully) mattress which were ruined by builder-antics when they managed to get themselves into my bedroom (believe me - you don't want to hear about what they did :mad:).

So nothing vastly life-impairing - but annoying (and a little bit sordid) nonetheless.

Thank you again to you all for taking the time to post a reply - I really appreciate it.

R xx
  • Charco_2
    Options
    Not sure anyone really wants to hear the details then... ha ha

That's strightforward then, inform your IP out of courtesy but there should be no question of paying it into your IVA. The money you receive is directly earmarked for the things you lost... even if you buy a lamp instead of new bed linen or a sun bed instead of a mattress
    CCCS funded by banks
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Charco wrote: »
    Not sure anyone really wants to hear the details then... ha ha

That's strightforward then, inform your IP out of courtesy but there should be no question of paying it into your IVA. The money you receive is directly earmarked for the things you lost... even if you buy a lamp instead of new bed linen or a sun bed instead of a mattress

Thanks ever so much once again, Charco - you are an absolute hero.
    :A:A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport