🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Big Thank you

Options
Just wanted so a big thank you to the site and all its users.:T

I have just admitted to myself (& hubby ) that we do have a debt problem:o

I have got so much information from going over the site and I now spend more time on here than on Facebook !!!!!

I know with all your help that me and my family will become debt free in the end .......
Any help most welcome , at the moment I am still trying to get though to hubby that small savings add up over the week/month so there has been a few arguements in my house but I do think it is gradually sinking in!!!!
Total Debt - 09/04/2012 = £43,030 !!!:eek:

CC1 = £4370 CC2 = £2005 CC3 = £8220 CC4 = £6780
CC4 = £7905 CC5 = £11,350
O/D 1 = £1100 O/D 2 = £1300
:eek:

Comments

• ceejaydee23
    ceejaydee23 Posts: 433 Forumite
    Options
    Well done to you! Men are usually the harder ones to come round, especially if its the woman thats pointing out the weakness from the "overspending"

I know my other half was coming on board when he told me we could downgrade and get rid of the sky sports! Occasionally i get a bit of a sigh from him, cos of certain games being on sky sports, but he hasn't been getting the hump! Which is good, We are now on the steps of doing a DMP, our first payment was made this week, and payplan have sent out the offer letters now. Some of it seems good news, as some of my creditors have already said interest now frozen x

The biggest single change i can say that works for me is CASH SPENDING! especially for food shopping! Set yourself a weekly/fortnightly or what ever budget for your shopping and stick to it! To begin with its hard, and i was struggling with mine, But i think im doing alright actually! I've now decided to do 2 bigger shops in a month to stock freezer n cupboard stuff, and just use smaller amounts weekly as "top ups" for fresh stuff.

fizzy702 wrote: »

I have got so much information from going over the site and I now spend more time on here than on Facebook !!!!!

I know with all your help that me and my family will become debt free in the end .......
    Any help most welcome , at the moment I am still trying to get though to hubby that small savings add up over the week/month so there has been a few arguements in my house but I do think it is gradually sinking in!!!!
  • curlytop12
    curlytop12 Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    just to say hi and welcome,keep posting,you will get there!
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    Options
    Martins demotivator is a good one for showin how small amounts add up over the year to a ridiculous amount , or try a basic spreadsheet - ie 2 pounds per day at work is 10 pounds per week, 40 a month!! and that's only 2 pounds per day.
    A spending diary is also an eye opener.
    Best of Luck
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • TakingControl
    TakingControl Posts: 372 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 30 March 2011 at 11:57AM
    Options
    Well done on starting your journey. I had my LBM in 2009 and near enough cleared 2/3 of my debts with a DMP, frugal living, tight budgeting and not having bought one piece of clothing/shoes etc in that time.

Once you have started it can only go up.

I have actually been able to bring forward my DFD by nearly 2 years and was able to cancel my DMP and starting to pay normal contractual amounts again and thus starting to rebuild my credit file as off now (not that I ever want credit again).

Good luck on your journey
    LBM 11/2009 Total Debts 11/2009 £44624 with DFD 2015 :(
    Debt Free Date: 14/11/2012 :j:j:j
  • Johnny_Chaos
    Options

The moment you start dealing with your problem you become wiser and one day, when you're debt free, you can tell others your tale.

I wouldn't bother with Facebook. What used to be a way of keeping in touch with close family and friends has become a fairground where people you worked with 10 years ago ask to be your friend so they can let you know how wonderful their life is compared to yours. Me? Cynical? :cool:
    The best way to save money is not to spend it.
    :cheesy: "Smile first thing in the morning. Get it over with." W. C. Fields. :cheesy:
  • pugzy
    pugzy Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    The moment you start dealing with your problem you become wiser and one day, when you're debt free, you can tell others your tale.

I wouldn't bother with Facebook. What used to be a way of keeping in touch with close family and friends has become a fairground where people you worked with 10 years ago ask to be your friend so they can let you know how wonderful their life is compared to yours. Me? Cynical? :cool:

Totally agree!!! :)

Good luck OP, you'll do it ;)
    Pugzy...aka Mike :smiley:

DFW Nerd #1355
  • ElmerFudd
    ElmerFudd Posts: 444 Forumite
    Options

Spending diaries are very useful and I find the demotivator tool which is on this site is very helpful in preventing me from getting the chocolate bars/ coffees out. It's weird the pounds are definitely looking after themselves when I look after the pennies....though getting the bank to take them is another thing entirely :)
    Debt at worst: £33000 (Feb 2011). Present debt: £25610 (Apr 2012)
    Lloyds old (22.4%) = 560 (Dec 2012)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family