Should I try claim DLA?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
6 replies 8.5K views
SohoAnthemSohoAnthem Forumite
91 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
Hello. First of all, this has upset me a lot and shocked me. I've only recently got into a job after suffering with Agoraphobia/Anxiety for years. I'm happy working.

Background: I've had hip problems since I was younger, particularly with the left. I started getting a knee problem when I was approximately 11 and got diagnosed with Osgood Schlatter disease when I was 12. This was consequently operated on twice.

I've also had a lower right side back problem which was x rayed and I was told my spine was leaning slightly to the right, I was never given any relief or physio on this though.

The second op gave me some relief up until about six months ago (the last op was 2008) my knee started getting increasingly more painful so I went to the doc who x rayed it for arthritis and found nothing, so told me to rub some cream in it (think it was an anti inflammatory?)

Now... I went back to the doctor because the cream wasn't working and it was getting worse and my back was starting to flare up badly again. I asked to see an orthopedic again. So I was referred there.

I saw a consultant who told me straight away that I had flat feet (I've never known this but it fits.) She examined me and said my knee wasn't working properly (think she said the cartilage?)

So she booked me to see a physio/podiatrist. I've just been to that appointment now and she was shocked at how bad my legs are. In short she explained that all my muscles are tight/heavy, not right, my knee's and hips are rolling inwards, my pelvic isn't right and my abdomen muscles are weak. Also the muscles in my butt aren't working right because of the way my hips are rotating.

The physio said she has her work cut out for her.

I was talking to a friend, about how all this fits into place now and I'm glad I have a proper diagnosis. She said would it be possible for me to try and claim DLA because the job I do just isn't appropriate (requires a lot of being on my feet, walking, going up and down stairs) and I'm absolutely crippled by the end of a shift.

Sorry it's long winded and I hope it all makes sense. Thank you if you take the time to read/reply!

:beer:
I'm still driving away and I'm sorry everyday,
I won't always love these selfish things.

Replies

• nanof6nanof6 Forumite
    15 Posts
    Sorry to hear that so glad you got over your agrophobia, i have been suffering from agrophobia and anxiety since 2003. i claim DLA the lower level for help in going out, i can only go out with my husband. 3years ago i started getting pains in my feet and ankles, i went to a podietry clinic and x-rays and the consultant told me my hip and knee and going inwards, they made insoles for my shoes which are no good.my foot also goes over inwards, i ask DLA to at my claim again because of my feet problems and sent letters from the hospital stateing that i can't walk very far and can only stand for a short while. They turned me down because i can dress myself and cook a meal even though i have to seat down while cooking and ironing.I still get the lower level.
  • sunnyonesunnyone Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    SohoAnthem wrote: »
    Hello. First of all, this has upset me a lot and shocked me. I've only recently got into a job after suffering with Agoraphobia/Anxiety for years. I'm happy working.

Background: I've had hip problems since I was younger, particularly with the left. I started getting a knee problem when I was approximately 11 and got diagnosed with Osgood Schlatter disease when I was 12. This was consequently operated on twice.

I've also had a lower right side back problem which was x rayed and I was told my spine was leaning slightly to the right, I was never given any relief or physio on this though.

The second op gave me some relief up until about six months ago (the last op was 2008) my knee started getting increasingly more painful so I went to the doc who x rayed it for arthritis and found nothing, so told me to rub some cream in it (think it was an anti inflammatory?)

Now... I went back to the doctor because the cream wasn't working and it was getting worse and my back was starting to flare up badly again. I asked to see an orthopedic again. So I was referred there.

I saw a consultant who told me straight away that I had flat feet (I've never known this but it fits.) She examined me and said my knee wasn't working properly (think she said the cartilage?)

So she booked me to see a physio/podiatrist. I've just been to that appointment now and she was shocked at how bad my legs are. In short she explained that all my muscles are tight/heavy, not right, my knee's and hips are rolling inwards, my pelvic isn't right and my abdomen muscles are weak. Also the muscles in my butt aren't working right because of the way my hips are rotating.

The physio said she has her work cut out for her.

I was talking to a friend, about how all this fits into place now and I'm glad I have a proper diagnosis. She said would it be possible for me to try and claim DLA because the job I do just isn't appropriate (requires a lot of being on my feet, walking, going up and down stairs) and I'm absolutely crippled by the end of a shift.

Sorry it's long winded and I hope it all makes sense. Thank you if you take the time to read/reply!

:beer:

So whats your diagnosis then?

Not that it matters because DLA is only given for care and mobility needs and you dont have mobility needs from your post, what are your care needs?

Your job dosn't come into it btw.
  • sunnyone wrote: »
    So whats your diagnosis then?

Not that it matters because DLA is only given for care and mobility needs and you dont have mobility needs from your post, what are your care needs?

Your job dosn't come into it btw.

Well the diagnosis is the Flat Feet with all the additional problems, I suppose. They have a good few pages of notes on all that's wrong. It's going to take months of physiotherapy and that might not even cure it.

Care needs? Well, I can look after myself but I can't walk all that far and I'm pretty much in constant pain from my back. Surely my job comes into it if I'm not able to do said job because it causes me too much pain? (Not being sarky btw, just genuinely confused)
  • BTT22BTT22 Forumite
    8 Posts
    It sounds very much like the person does have mobility needs.
    SohoAnthem , have they ruled out your spinal cord being tethered . It's usually something you are born with but gets worse as you get older . It is usually confirmed with an MRI scan. If you google Tethered Cord you can see if the symptoms look similiar to you ( although of course many things have similiar symptoms ).
  • BTT22 wrote: »
    It sounds very much like the person does have mobility needs.
    SohoAnthem , have they ruled out your spinal cord being tethered . It's usually something you are born with but gets worse as you get older . It is usually confirmed with an MRI scan. If you google Tethered Cord you can see if the symptoms look similiar to you ( although of course many things have similiar symptoms ).

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. Some of the symptoms certainly are similar to me but not sure, no one has done an examination on my back properly, only the x ray years ago.
  • ChorlieChorlie Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Have you spoken to your GP about this?

Your GP will have to write a report, so its worth asking there opinion since theirs will be asked if you did apply and you can talk about the problems you do have. This will also help them with there report if you did end up applying.

When I had to finish work, which was all done with my GP's help it was him who raised the issue of benefits.

If you're genuine and you've a good GP, they will help you in anyway they can.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals