Xmas Freebies & Fun in Oxford Street, London, this Sat

Options
Update Note 27 November 2007:

What's the deal?

This Saturday (1 Dec) London's Oxford, Bond and Regent Streets will be awash with festive freebies, fanfare and fun. The streets are being pedestrianised for the day and many shops are participating in one way or another with many handing out free food or goodie bags and providing entertainment.

What you need to do

Just hop along to Oxford, Bond and Regent Street which'll be pedestrianised between 10.30am and 8pm. Shops will be open till 9pm.

More Info

A special website's been set up. To read more about it, what's on offer and which areas will be out of bounds for traffic have a look at ShopWestEnd

NOTE ABOUT THE DISCUSSION BELOW:

The above information has been updated from the info about the same event last year. Hoever some of the earlier posts in the discussion below are from that time, in case you find all the different dates confusing.

Martin

P.S. This discussion was originally started by the poster immediately below. This entry has been inserted so I can put an official, fully researched MoneySavingExpert.com explanation at the top. Thank you to Testee for the top spot.

threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• Testee
    Testee Posts: 381 Forumite
    Options
    "On 2nd December from 11am Oxford Street will become a traffic free zone and shoppers will be met with mulled wine, mince pies and freebies galore. Gap, House of Fraser, Penhaligon's and John Lewis will be offering complimentary manicures and beauty makeovers, while Levi and Aquascutum will dispense free champagne. All this to the backing of Heart 106.2fm.

2nd December from 11am on Oxford Street and Regent Street."

Saw this in one of the freebie London newspapers on Thursday - might be worth a look see?
  • caroline1973lefty
    Options
    went last year and it was completely bonkers - so many people trying to grab goody bags (which weren't all that amazing - free tissues, bottles of water, that sort of thing) that the poor cyclists carrying them had to get off their bikes to avoid being knocked over in the scrum!. Go early (if at all) and leave early, would be my tip!
    "The Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed" - Ghandi
  • kernalpop
    Options
    I was working there last year and will be there this year too as I will be working for Heart 106.2FM.

There is a great buzz down there and yes the freebies are not that fantastic but it's great to walk down the street without any cars in the way and there should be loads of Celebs to spot and chat to!!! Come and say hello to the Heart crowd and grab some freebies from us!!!!

Actually... Whoever comes up and asks for me (Kernalpop) and I speak to personally just say MSE to me and I will give you a Heart shaped Keyring that has a torch on the end. Great stocking fillers!!
    The art is not in making money,
    but in keeping it!!!
  • KizzyK_2
    Options
    kernalpop wrote:
    Actually... Whoever comes up and asks for me (Kernalpop) and I speak to personally just say MSE to me and I will give you a Heart shaped Keyring that has a torch on the end. Great stocking fillers!!

Do you know where down Oxford St. your going to be?

Your workmates are going to be confused if they dont know your user name :p

I love Heart radio :D
    :j Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus :j

• kberry_78
    Options
    Thank you for this post.
    We had a great time, didn't pick up any freebies but it was a nice family day out. Saw Miss Christmas and her little dancers. Saw Santa and my 1 yr old sat on his lap and took a pic ( need to edit in a smile though she was grumpy). I tell a lie, we had free coffee and doughnuts from selfridges. I think it was great to see my little one in total awe of everything. She didn't sleep all day, she had a good day and that's what counts. Now to gather (from the park), collect( from friends) and buy(with a heavy heart) Christmas lights etc.

Merry Christmas Testee and Martin.
  • QQuaver
    QQuaver Posts: 8,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Testee wrote: »
    "On 2nd December from 11am Oxford Street will become a traffic free zone
    Both 1st & 2nd Dec?:huh:
  • reehsetin
    reehsetin Posts: 4,916 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    woohooo ill be at work on saturday anyway so hopefully i can pick up something nice :D
    Yes Your Dukeiness :D
  • algarve
    algarve Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    The Street will only be pedestrianised on Saturday 01/12/2007
    Spend £200 on your Mastercard on Oxford Street's VIP day on Saturday .In an Oxford St shop 01/12/2007 and get a free red letter day experience. You can then get a refund on what you buy and get something for nothing. Defenitely MSE
    Selfridges also doing 20% of days don't know exact days but towards this weekend.:beer: Will update when I find out.
    Algarve
  • Fulham_Mark
    Options
    for the spend £200 on mastercard thing

I believe (but not 100% sure) that Mastercard will take a percentage of the sale then take a percentage of the refund payment too.

So by purchasing something then taking it back, you get something for nothing and Mastercard are double quids-in.

Please let me know if I'm wrong..may only apply to internet payments or something
  • arlybarly
    arlybarly Posts: 985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i went on saturday with my dd and it was manic, saw the radio people and the credit card people trying to get you to open an account. hamleys was murder, topshop terrible, qued for ages in mcdonalds, then qued again for the loo. MURDER

cant wait to go again had a bostin time, Lmaoxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport