We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Lawn Edging

Options
trudiha
trudiha Posts: 398 Forumite
I've decided that what my garden really needs is some lawn edging. I think that a clear division between the dandelions and the more free-range weeds would be both practical and attractive. What I'd like is some terracotta fancy edged thing of beauty from Crocus but what I can afford is some green plastic on a roll from Winkinsons.

How, exactly, would I install such a thing?

Comments

• Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The plastic roll will become brittle after a year or two in sunlight. I would simply cut a slit in the earth with your spade and stick it in.
  • trudiha
    Options
    That would be perfect as it would give me just enough time to save up for some beautiful reclaimed bricks.
  • lardlikesdogs
    Options
    Either take it back or put it straight in the bin, Trust me on this one
    Pure Dog Loving
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I did my lawn 3 years ago with it. I cut around the edges of the lawn to desired look and then dug small trench for the roll to fit then backfilled. I could do this all way around due to some parts of the lawn are a few inches from a wall which over hangs on to pavement where I have wallflowers and aubrteia. SO cut the roll in parts so they didnt go in as deep as the soil is shallow. Its works fine I did trim the roll on some places as it stuck out too much

Mine hasnt become brittle and is south facing, it hasnt even faded from what I can see most of it is buried anyway, it probably will in time
  • stumpycat
    stumpycat Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    I'm still swithering what to do about our front lawn - there's no edging at the moment, so grass makes breakaway invasions into my flowerbeds. I don't like the green plastic stuff, but don't want anything more solid as my 7 year old makes regular enough trips to A&E as it is... are there any other options?
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've edged one of my flower beds with plain cheap dark bricks laid flat on their wide face (if you see what I mean) and end-to-end along the lawn edge. Most importantly I placed them slightly lower than the lawn itself so I can mow right to the edge without damaging the blades on the bricks. I made a trench to lie them in and got them level with a spirit level - tapped them in with a rubber mallet until they didn't wobble. (Quite pleased with myself being a woman who likes to keep my finger nails long and polished throughout the gardening seasons ! )

I edge my other beds with one of those half-moon edgers, every month or so just to keep the grass in check.

It's worth doing as a neat trimmed lawn edger can really set off a garden.

Linda xx
  • grrmich
    grrmich Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    I edged all my beds at the allotment last year, and kept the grass short, but now I'm having to do it all over again, as the grass has gone a bit out of control and started encroaching into the beds. It's quite a lengthly job to do, especially when there's so many other things I need to be doing!

Is this something I have to put up with if I want grass paths, or is there a way of keeping the edges neat and sharp without re-edging every year?
  • trudiha
    Options
    stumpycat wrote: »
    I'm still swithering what to do about our front lawn - there's no edging at the moment, so grass makes breakaway invasions into my flowerbeds. I don't like the green plastic stuff, but don't want anything more solid as my 7 year old makes regular enough trips to A&E as it is... are there any other options?

I don't know if this stuff is any good at edging or how easy it is to fit but as it's made from rubber, I assume that it wouldn't lead to any trips to A&E.

http://www.manufactum.co.uk/Produkt/193810/1443776/Rubber-Edging-Strip.html
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,033 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used the log rolls from poundstretcher when they were on offer a couple of years ago. Not too silly as money goes, and they're lasting well at the moment until I can decide/afford what I really want.
    I've no idea which way up they're meant to go, but I decided pointy side down was probably safer!
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    B+M have the log rolls in at the moment 2 for £5... working my way around replacing the bricks which have completely crumbled in our garden but it's not quite long enough heightwise for what I need it for. Have used rolls of bamboo edging to hide the front of our patio which looks quite good (the patio is really badly laid and uneven and was a pretty bad eyesore which we haven't got the cash to replace at the moment so it disguses it).
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport