Embarrassing DLA Question... (Female question, but all welcome!)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
25 replies 4K views
13»

Replies

• I was actually talking to someone today about having children. I receive HRC and HRM and have carers. Some carers are judgemental and say it isn't possible but I actually spoke to a carer who used to be a midwife and she has helped many disabled people to have children.

I am one of the youngest service users that the care agency I use sees and I often talk about who I fancy, dates, sex etc with them. Some of them seem to think being disabled means I can't do anything; others treat me as if I am not disabled. I do wonder what it would be like if one morning my carer turned up to find me in bed with someone! :p On the other hand, the last person I dated didn't want to stay at mine because I have carer's visiting me :(
  • LadyMorticiaLadyMorticia Forumite
    19.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heya hun. :) Don't worry about it. I think there would be hell to pay if DLA had a problem with disabled people wanting and enjoying sex. I have M.E too so I know what you're going through. I feel sorry for my OH though. He hardly ever gets any because sometimes I'm too exhausted to even move properly.:o
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • fadetogreyfadetogrey Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Isolus wrote: »
    Ha ha ha, thank you everybody - a few giggles and a lot of reassurance, just what i needed! :)

I know it sounded a bit silly, but it did worry me a bit.. even the the thought of it being on my notes for GPs to see. But i guess i'll just do as advised and make sure there's no ceiling - swinging occuring when a doctor/benefits official is round. :rotfl:

whats a sex life??:(:(:(
    counting down the time I got left.:beer::beer:
  • I was actually talking to someone today about having children. I receive HRC and HRM and have carers. Some carers are judgemental and say it isn't possible but I actually spoke to a carer who used to be a midwife and she has helped many disabled people to have children.

I am one of the youngest service users that the care agency I use sees and I often talk about who I fancy, dates, sex etc with them. Some of them seem to think being disabled means I can't do anything; others treat me as if I am not disabled. I do wonder what it would be like if one morning my carer turned up to find me in bed with someone! :p On the other hand, the last person I dated didn't want to stay at mine because I have carer's visiting me :(

Tell them to google Alison Lapper!
  • Tell them to google Alison Lapper!

Wow. It's great to see this woman embracing life and fulfilling dreams and being a mother, all enhanced I am sure by her attitude towards her disability. I think showing this to the couple carers who were judgemental towards me might just shut them up!
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides