Lost DLA Appeal - Not able to work - now what?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
23 replies 4.3K views

Replies

• ChorlieChorlie Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    I have DLA most of my life, when I turned 16 I got it my name. I worked full time for 10yrs 35hrs a week, plus slot of overtime; I then had to go part-time 20hrs a week (no overtime) and did that for another 10yrs.

Last year I had to give up work, but in all that time I still kept my DLA. Work doesn't effect DLA, I my have an effect if applying for high rate care, but a lot of people need help getting up or going to bed, cooking etc. which work doesn't effect.

If you have a disability you could look at Disability Tax Credits if you do enough hours.
  • A_Flock_Of_SheepA_Flock_Of_Sheep Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    DanE2010 wrote: »
    Hi, I work part time and claim DLA HRM LRC, and if it wasnt for DLA I wouldnt of been able to reduce my hours to part time as full time hours were killing me, If they were ever to take my DLA away id have to increase my hours and end up seriously ill again and loose my job therefore have to claim more from the state.

I have ME which is very tough to get help with so im so thankful for my DLA as I dont know where id be without it, just working my part time hours means the next day is spent mostly recovering in bed but having a job gets me out of the house, I think if I didnt have a job id be housebound most of the time as the longer I stay in the more agoraphobic I get so having a job really helps with that also.

This is really good to hear what a positive impact DLA is on enabling a disabled person to remain in work.

Can I ask how many hours a week you work?
  • DanE2010DanE2010 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    This is really good to hear what a positive impact DLA is on enabling a disabled person to remain in work.

Can I ask how many hours a week you work?

It really has been a lifesaver, I was working 40hpw in a very stressful job and was on the verge of being sacked because of my sickness record, as soon as I dropped my hours ( to 20 ) it enabled me to have a breather between shifts and let my body heal and little by little my attendence record improved and I was able to manage my illness as I wasnt managing it at all before then, I was simply making my condition worse and at my lowest ebb id ever been.

Another way its helped me also was I was walking to and from work everyday too and this was agony and not helping at all, the DLA helps me now with the costs for taxi's and eventually when I feel well enough towards driving lessons so I can be more independent.

Its still a battle every day but at least now there are some good days and the stress levels have been taken down a notch as my employer wasnt/isnt the most accomadating with it comes to illnesses the cant see.
  • A_Flock_Of_SheepA_Flock_Of_Sheep Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    DanE2010 wrote: »
    It really has been a lifesaver, I was working 40hpw in a very stressful job and was on the verge of being sacked because of my sickness record, as soon as I dropped my hours ( to 20 ) it enabled me to have a breather between shifts and let my body heal and little by little my attendence record improved and I was able to manage my illness as I wasnt managing it at all before then, I was simply making my condition worse and at my lowest ebb id ever been.

Another way its helped me also was I was walking to and from work everyday too and this was agony and not helping at all, the DLA helps me now with the costs for taxi's and eventually when I feel well enough towards driving lessons so I can be more independent.

Its still a battle every day but at least now there are some good days and the stress levels have been taken down a notch as my employer wasnt/isnt the most accomadating with it comes to illnesses the cant see.

ME is a horrid illness. If you get HRM you could get a car on the motability scheme. The DLA has taken the edge of work for you and enabled you to lead a more fulfilling and independent life. Respect due to you!
  • DanE2010DanE2010 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    ME is a horrid illness. If you get HRM you could get a car on the motability scheme. The DLA has taken the edge of work for you and enabled you to lead a more fulfilling and independent life. Respect due to you!

Thank you for your kind words! And yes it is a terrible terrible illness and ive lost so much because of it but DLA has enabled me to fight back against it and live some kind of life instead of just merely exist.

Yes im hoping once ive learnt to drive I can go down the motobility scheme route, being able to get out and about without depending on someone else will be fab!
  • edited 31 March 2011 at 8:45AM
    dori2odori2o Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 March 2011 at 8:45AM
    It really annoys me when the DWp/Tribunals service completely contradict themselves.

On my decision notice it clearly states
    I can't consider any of the following

* ability to work
    * availablility of public transport
    * being driven in a car
    * child care
    * cooking for other people
    yet when I last went to Tribunal, they made a big deal out of the fact I was working. They basically said if I could make it to work everyday then I was able to walk and not entitled to the benefit.

Like I have a choice. If it was really as easy as the Daily Mail makes it out to be living on benefits then I would do. Unfortunately that is not the reality.

The only reason I can get to work now is because I have a blue badge and only have to walk about 100 yards to get there. Even this is a struggle and I have to stop and rest even with this distance due to being out of breath and the unbeleibveable pain I am in.

My reason for wanting DLA is to reduce my hours at work therefore reducing the amount of pain I am in. If I can go to a 3 or 4 day week trhgat gives me more time to rest, and also more time and the funds needed to go out and try some alternative therapies i.e reflexology, massage, acupuncture etc etc. as it is I don't have the means to do that at this time.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • Jo_KingJo_King Forumite
    208 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thank you all for your responses. Sorry I've not replied. My mood has kind of plummeted, unsurprisingly.

I've kinda given up with DWP. I've been fighting for 2 years, and I just don't have the energy. I'll ask for the Statement of Reasons, but I doubt very much there'll be anything to work on there. Even though my working was the main bugbear in tribunal, I don't imagine that's how it'll appear in the Statement. Our local CAB has told me that they're not able to help - too many people. And no local charity now sends representatives.

I've drafted a resignation letter. I'm giving it a month to see if anything develops, before I hand it in. I'm tempted to write to George Osborne and say 'My medics think I need to work less, but your Department think I should stay as I am. Could you please advise whose opinion you would like me to listen to?'

I am grateful for all your responses here, and that the system is working for some of you.
  • dori2odori2o Forumite
    8.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jo_King wrote: »
    Thank you all for your responses. Sorry I've not replied. My mood has kind of plummeted, unsurprisingly.

I've kinda given up with DWP. I've been fighting for 2 years, and I just don't have the energy. I'll ask for the Statement of Reasons, but I doubt very much there'll be anything to work on there. Even though my working was the main bugbear in tribunal, I don't imagine that's how it'll appear in the Statement. Our local CAB has told me that they're not able to help - too many people. And no local charity now sends representatives.

I've drafted a resignation letter. I'm giving it a month to see if anything develops, before I hand it in. I'm tempted to write to George Osborne and say 'My medics think I need to work less, but your Department think I should stay as I am. Could you please advise whose opinion you would like me to listen to?'

I am grateful for all your responses here, and that the system is working for some of you.
    Before you hand in the letter really think about it. You feel low now but that may change in a coupleof days.

Is there any counselling service you can go to and vent your frustrations? Does your employer offer anything like this?
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • GlasweJenGlasweJen Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I certainly wouldn't resign knowing that you're not currently entitled to any benefits. All you'll get is fired onto JSA and then have a disabled working advisor who knows !!!!!! all about syncope, ME etc who will expect you to apply for various unsuitable jobs which you get sanctioned for not applying for.

You're probably better negotiating with work, model a change of hours (and the subsequent change of salary/income) on entitledto and see if a drop in hours attracts anything like LHA or council tax benefit on income grounds. Once you're on CTB/LHA you can usually get a HC2 certificate (apply using an HC1 form available from the pharmacy/job centre) which gives you help with prescriptions, optician, dentist, travel to hospital etc.

ETA you may actually get sanctioned off of JSA for giving up work voluntarily.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)

• Don't, whatever you do, give up work voluntarily as you won't get any benefits despite the validity of your reasons.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides