MSE News: EMA replacement fund unveiled to help poorest school kids

Options

Comments

• jennie65
    jennie65 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have 2 children one in his 3rd year of non advanced further education and going on to year 4 as is doing a 2nd btec, so assuming he will continue to get the £30 a week, and a daughter in her first year of a btec just turned 17 so she will drop to the £20.

Am so gonna hear the "its not fair" statement in my household over that development. Especially as she has to catch 2 buses to college and has to buy uniform and folders and has so much more work than he has on his course.

He is doing IT and games design she is doing a quite intensive Animal Welfare and conservation.

cest la vie, I am just glad they don't lose it entirely as the bus passes can be quite pricey to pay out for each month.
    Bankrupt 15/04/09 Discharged 28/10/09

Debts £000:j
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Akom wrote: »
    and asking myself how is he being helped?

I didn't get anything off the government or my parents and I did just fine.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • Akom
    Akom Posts: 159 Forumite
    Options
    Percy1983 wrote: »
    I didn't get anything off the government or my parents and I did just fine.

Fantastic. Nice to hear sucess stories. (Not sarcastic):beer:

I must ask though, were your fees as high then as they are now and are you free of all your student debt?
  • debs626
    debs626 Posts: 665 Forumite
    Options
    Slightly confused about the new scheme. Does anyone have a link to more in depth details ?

My daughter has just been offered a place at college today (to start in September) I'm on JSA atm and my daughter receives free school meals ... does this mean that she will be eligible under the new scheme ?

If so, does she apply to the college for this ?

TIA for any help or advice ;)
    MSE:-)MoneySpendingExpert (-:
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Akom, were your fees upfront, like the old style students (fee loans only came in in 2006, after all. Anyone before that had to pay their fees upfront).
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    debs626 wrote: »
    Slightly confused about the new scheme. Does anyone have a link to more in depth details ?

My daughter has just been offered a place at college today (to start in September) I'm on JSA atm and my daughter receives free school meals ... does this mean that she will be eligible under the new scheme ?

If so, does she apply to the college for this ?

TIA for any help or advice ;)

You don't get free school meals in colleges.
  • Wicked_witch
    Wicked_witch Posts: 722 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 29 March 2011 at 1:34PM
    Options
    Well, my son is currently doing a one year intermediate course in music performance for which he recieves full ema (yes we are a low income family) and will be going on next year to do the advanced course- same tutors, same college etc. I suppose we'll have to wait and see whether he continues to recieve ema at the new lower rate or if he will be one of the people who now have to rely on the college's extra funding for help. We'll see what happens with students going from AS to A2 level courses in the same subjects and argue the toss if neccessary as his new course will also be a literal progression in the exact same subject with nothing but the level changing. In fact, may as well start looking into it now...
  • debs626
    debs626 Posts: 665 Forumite
    Options
    You don't get free school meals in colleges.

She's at school at the moment (about to take gcse's) and gets free school meals because I'm a single parent on JSA

I was asking if anyone knew if she would qualify for funds from the bursary ? .... under our present circumstances
    MSE:-)MoneySpendingExpert (-:
  • Madmonk
    Madmonk Posts: 507 Forumite
    Options
    Under your present circumstances the answer is yes!

MM
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    debs626 wrote: »
    She's at school at the moment (about to take gcse's) and gets free school meals because I'm a single parent on JSA

I was asking if anyone knew if she would qualify for funds from the bursary ? .... under our present circumstances

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport