Disabled parking space outside home

I seem to remeber a few years ago a woman up the road had a disabled parking bay outside her home to ensure she could park her car there. The parking in our area is now so bad (terraced houses with no garage or other off street parking) that as I work late hours I have to park well away from my home, or even on other streets.

Do councils stilloffer the disabled bays, and if so how would I go about looking into one?

Thanks
[SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
[/SIZE]

Comments

• lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    If you require a disabled bay contact your local council.

Details should be on their web-page
  • But the new disabled bay wont have your name on it, it will be for anyone who has a blue badge. So you could be wasting your time :o
    KEEP CALM AND keep taking the tablets :cool2:
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    dori2o wrote: »
    I seem to remeber a few years ago a woman up the road had a disabled parking bay outside her home to ensure she could park her car there.

Yes, I've seen them too, how does it work if someone else with a disabled badge parks there?
    Also does the homeowner have to set a timer disc and move when it expires, as the instructions with disabled badges say?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Agreed also they may refuse if they think there is ample parking, might be wise to show them photos when its busy at 6pm/weekends etc as they probably come during day when parking may be better
    But the new disabled bay wont have your name on it, it will be for anyone who has a blue badge. So you could be wasting your time :o
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    anyone with a bb can park in these places, i have one just next to my drive,

It is used for a resident who lives behind me but does not have a road, there is nothing stopping me park there (yes i have a bb)

Visiting a friend in another part of town used to be fun, next door to him is a bb, if i parked there the neighbour used to go mental, that's mine that's mine she would cry, showed her the book that comes with the bb, but no she would not have it.
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • The parking on my street is awful too. Sometime I would have to park in the middle of the road, get my husband out in his wheelchair and into the house and then take the car to park elsewhere.
    We looked into a disabled parking bay but as there are 6 people in my little street though my husband is the only one in a wheelchair we decided against. Social service arranged for a white H across our the front of our garden, think is the highway department they went to. Now no one parks across us.
    september wins - toshiba laptop, timotei shampoo & conditioner, mccains games, pimms picnic blanket.
    october wins - grants tumblers, £20 petrol voucher, sega console, iphone
    novembers wins - £50 on walkers rainy day, £50 itunes voucher
    march wins - dog treats
  • Yes it is possible to apply for a disabled bay outside your home. Contact your local council. My council have a online application form. You need to supply your blue badge number. As others have said, the disabled bay will not be for your sole use - anyone with a BB can park there.

As far as I know there is no time limit when parked within a disabled bay in a residental road (I may be wrong!).
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    An elderly resident in our street has a BB, doesn't drive, but has her son's old car permanently parked in front of her house with her badge on it as she doesn't like anyone parking in front of her house! The car is taxed so nothing can be done to move it.
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• bertiebat
    bertiebat Posts: 310
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I live in London and my borough deal with 2 types of disabled bay requests.

One is a standard BB bay, but they also will create a dedicated disabled parking bay which is for your exclusive use. You need to get DLA HRM, no access to private parking, car registered at the address and have a BB issued by that borough.

I haven't requested one because I'm allowed to use the Pay and Display which is directly outside and I can almost always get a space.

However if they ever again issue me with a ticket by suspending the bay when I've not been out and then reject my appeal (happened more than a few times now), I will waste every-bodies time and money by applying for one. :mad:

Try your council's website to see if they do a similar scheme.
    Just in case you were wondering (some have)..... I'm a woman!
  • mobilefan
    mobilefan Posts: 33 Forumite
    We recently had a disabled bay allocated to us by the local council. The only car that is allowed to park in it is ours. This is done by the council issuing you with a parking permit which shows your cars details and is registered with them, so if anyone else parks there regardless if they have a blue badge or not they get booked and fined. The council also gave us the number of the local parking attendants and told us to ring them if we have any trouble. The bay is for my mothers sole use only. When we applied for the bay we were told that they would consult with our neighbours, this is to make sure that the person applying is not lying about his/her disability, I did ask what if the neighbour just objects on the grounds of not being able to have one themselves and I was told that the council takes that into consideration. In all fairness our local council was great to deal with and at the end of the day if you dont ask you dont get
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure