Local Service Visit

I have a local service visit this week from DWP because my oldest son is now 16. He has learning difficulties and will not be able to manage his own affairs and this apparently is the purpose of the visit, they need to meet with both of us.
They have asked for me to provide proof of both our identity.
Is this standard, seems strange to have to prove our identity in our own home and I have never heard of anyone else have them actually come out to the persons home.

Comments

• Don't know anything about this, but can understand why they might want to make sure the people they are visiting are actually the people concerned! There are many reports of people taking driving tests for other people etc, even when the bank rings you, they still go thru security questions to ensure that you are actually the person they think they are talking too.
    Opinions are like bottoms - We all have one, just some stink more than others

Service Attributable Pension - War Pension - War Pensioners Unemployability Supplement - War Pensioners Invalidity Allowance - War Pensioners Comforts Allowance - War Pensioners Mobility Allowance - War Pensioners Child Allowance - Housing Benefit - Council Tax Benefit
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Richie-from-the-Boro Posts: 6,945
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 27 March 2011 at 2:04PM
    Vicky123 wrote: »
    I have a local service visit this week from DWP because my oldest son is now 16. He has learning difficulties and will not be able to manage his own affairs and this apparently is the purpose of the visit, they need to meet with both of us.
    They have asked for me to provide proof of both our identity.
    Is this standard, seems strange to have to prove our identity in our own home and I have never heard of anyone else have them actually come out to the persons home.

Fairly standard practice I would think, and if its not already written into the DWP procedures it probably ought to be, and as soon as possible. You have nothing to worry about my friend, rather than seeing it as a negative, look at it as reassuring that they take so much trouble to protect your son's interests.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Vicky123
    Vicky123 Posts: 3,404
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Except they are coming to my house after phoning me and sending the letter through the post, they have been paying my son DLA with all his and my details since he was 6yrs old.
    I would understand if we contacted them that they would need verification but seems odd in my own home.
    I am now curious as to why they are coming at all as they have already been paying his DLA to me. They already have all the information about his learning difficulties. It's not something I have ever heard of.
  • Vicky123 wrote: »
    Except they are coming to my house after phoning me and sending the letter through the post, they have been paying my son DLA with all his and my details since he was 6yrs old.
    I would understand if we contacted them that they would need verification but seems odd in my own home.
    I am now curious as to why they are coming at all as they have already been paying his DLA to me. They already have all the information about his learning difficulties. It's not something I have ever heard of.

Because he is no longer a child [ legally ] and your son will need to have someone appointed by the Department for Work and Pensions to act on his behalf. They need to see your son and ask him, not you, if he understands they also need to sort out how his money is paid for example your bak account but it remains his money.

You may be surprised how helpful they can be, they need to explain to him what is happening and why, and get his signature.

"" When a young person reaches 16, they have the right to manage their own money or ask someone else to do this for them.

At 16 they can claim Social Security benefits for themselves. Claiming benefits in their own right has spin offs and can be the key to getting other sorts of help ! ""

Put this in your search engine it may help your understanding : dla 16 years old
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Vicky123
    Forumite
    Thanks for that, just wondered why they didn't use the info they already have. Wonder what happens if the person is unable to understand what they are saying and cannot write a signature.
  • intranicity
    intranicity Posts: 394 Forumite
    I would think in those circumstances, the person responsible for looking after them (You) would be required to get a Power of Attorney drawn up so you become eligible to run their affairs for them
    Opinions are like bottoms - We all have one, just some stink more than others

Service Attributable Pension - War Pension - War Pensioners Unemployability Supplement - War Pensioners Invalidity Allowance - War Pensioners Comforts Allowance - War Pensioners Mobility Allowance - War Pensioners Child Allowance - Housing Benefit - Council Tax Benefit
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,892
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thanks for that, just wondered why they didn't use the info they already have. Wonder what happens if the person is unable to understand what they are saying and cannot write a signature.
    Well, they have to check that, don't they?
    I would think in those circumstances, the person responsible for looking after them (You) would be required to get a Power of Attorney drawn up so you become eligible to run their affairs for them
    Didn't think it was that complicated, but could be wrong.

Vicky, proving your identity is just an occupational hazard these days. We went to speak to an accountant about something, and he wanted to see ID, before we even agreed to engage his services!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,817
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 27 March 2011 at 7:26PM

for benefits purposes they could make the op an appointee which would mean all contact is with her, power of attorney would not be required (also POA is done through solicitors not DWP)

but at every visit they always ask the people to confirm their identity otherwise it could be anyone sitting there stating they are the customer and information being disclosed that shouldn't be disclosed. I have heard stories of people pretending to be customers either to get information or to defraud the system, it is there for both your protections. Note that the visiting officers have ID so that they can be checked as well.
  • Vicky123
    Forumite
    It just seems strange though who would be letting me into their house and put photographs around and about, who has been allowing me to answer the phone to the DWP and letters, it's the ID in my own home I find odd, they want to see my sons birth certificate. DLA has been paid to this address for my son for many years.
    I'm not bothered as I am not hiding anything but it all does seem odd, why haven't they asked us to come to them? If they did that then it would seem more reasonable to ask for ID.
    I'm probably just suspicious of DWP making a home visit, didn't know this was standard when a child turns 16, never heard of it before.
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,817
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It just seems strange though who would be letting me into their house and put photographs around and about, who has been allowing me to answer the phone to the DWP and letters, it's the ID in my own home I find odd, they want to see my sons birth certificate. DLA has been paid to this address for my son for many years.
    I'm not bothered as I am not hiding anything but it all does seem odd, why haven't they asked us to come to them? If they did that then it would seem more reasonable to ask for ID.
    I'm probably just suspicious of DWP making a home visit, didn't know this was standard when a child turns 16, never heard of it before.

they don't have surgeries were people can go in any more all down to cost cutting. the thing is, you find it strange but to people who work with in the dwp its the norm.........:lipsrseal, but that is the thing, you are on the phone, the people at the other end, they don't see you! that be like the daughter who called us to send a letter to her mother to verify her identity for getting a bank account opened because the mother did not have any ID.:eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure