We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Can I make money from my french?
jet77
Posts: 1,586 Forumite
Hi,
I speak fluent french (was brought up bilingually). I've got a French A Level grade A, French For Business qualification and have worked in Paris for 3 months and as a bilingual administrator in the UK.
I couldn't find a job that would fit in with school times that used my french skills - however I do love the job that I've got and am very lucky to have found it.
I haven't got much time left in the day after kids, housework, MSEing and work. I did look in to marking exam papers from home but you need a higher level of qualification than I've got. I thought about french lessons from home but haven't got anyone to watch the kids while I teach. (Mums a teacher and would be able to get materials from her).
Any ideas of how I would be able to turn this skill into money?
Thanks J xxx
I speak fluent french (was brought up bilingually). I've got a French A Level grade A, French For Business qualification and have worked in Paris for 3 months and as a bilingual administrator in the UK.
I couldn't find a job that would fit in with school times that used my french skills - however I do love the job that I've got and am very lucky to have found it.
I haven't got much time left in the day after kids, housework, MSEing and work. I did look in to marking exam papers from home but you need a higher level of qualification than I've got. I thought about french lessons from home but haven't got anyone to watch the kids while I teach. (Mums a teacher and would be able to get materials from her).
Any ideas of how I would be able to turn this skill into money?
Thanks J xxx
JUST DO IT ONE BRICK AT A TIME
PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
Weekly Budget: groceries£50/petrol£50/Unnecesary£15
DEBT PAID = 58% (£4,212/£8216):T
0
Comments
-
Try a translation agency? ie books, business reports, etc.Addicted to Facebook
0 -
I can't remember the name of the company but you basically give online tuition to children. The parents pay the company for the the service and you get paid accordingly. You can do this from home so you don't have the worry of child care.
Maybe someone else will know what I am talking about and the name of the company. Sorry I can't be of any more help.0 -
Do you have an Alliance Francais near you?
http://www.alliancefr.org/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=23
It might be worth contacting them for advice or vacancies.
Bonne chance!:eek: What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about? :eek:Official "Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)" Member 160 -
Have a look at this website http://www.nrpsi.co.uk/ It's the National Register of Public Service interpreters (or something like that!).
Not sure if you need any further qualifications but basically your details are placed on a register to be used by Police Stations, Courts etc when they have a french speaking detainee. They ring the person on the register closest geographically to them. You are not set to any particular days or times, if they ring you and you can do it you say Yes, if not just say No. You can even say Yes but I can't get there for two hours, it may well be that other interpreters are that far away that your 2 hours is the quickest they will get attendance so they go for you anyway. Your acceptance of jobs is not recorded anywhere so even if you said No 95% of the time you won't be struck of the register. Can't remember exactly what it pays but I remember signing off the expense forms and wishing I spoke another language as it was very profitable!0 -
Hello, I actually work for NRPSI (not sure if I should be saying this!) and we do require a degree level qualification in interpreting, however there are a couple which are relatively straightforward to do, i.e. you don't have to do a course as such, just sit exams. It is probably not the best option for you if you need to make money straight off, though, as the qualifications cost money and so does registration.
However, a lot of local NHS trusts and councils have their own pool of interpreters, and may accept you onto their books as a native speaker. You would be working on a freelance basis, and as such you would still be able to take or refuse jobs at your own discretion. It may be worth contacting these organisations locally to find out.DFW stats:
Currently under review
Proud to be dealing with my debts0 -
Anwen - can you be more specific as to the type of qualification where I would just be able to sit the exam please. I rang learn direct not so long ago and asked if I would be able to do anything like that and they said no!
Thank you.JUST DO IT ONE BRICK AT A TIMEPROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTSWeekly Budget: groceries£50/petrol£50/Unnecesary£15DEBT PAID = 58% (£4,212/£8216):T0 -
There are two main qualifications in interpreting which we definitely accept and which can be just taken as an exam. They are the Diploma in Public Service Interpreting and the Metropolitan Police Test. They are both run by related companies to NRPSI, the DPSI is run by the Chartered Institute of Linguists which is our parent company, and the MPT is run by Language Services Ltd which is a sister company. We do accept lots of other qualifications, however you'd have to do a course for most of those.
If you PM me, I can give you the phone numbers for the above exams (or there should be info on the website), basically they are both equally acceptable for our purposes and cost similar amounts to sit. The DPSI however is only examined once a year in June, whereas the MPT is three times per year. You should be able to get copies of past exam papers to help you prepare for the exams.DFW stats:
Currently under review
Proud to be dealing with my debts0 -
Hi. I was going to suggest freelance translating from home. The other thing would be Saturday morning lessons to children so OH could look after the children.
What a great skill. I'm thinking about starting a business trading with France so I might be in touch one day needing your help! The other thing that comes to mind is friends of mine buying a property in France (their THIRD house, geez where did we go wrong?!). The forms they had to fill in were a nightmare so they got in a translator - you could do that sort of freelance translating, ie for individuals rather than business. A very simple web page would be all you needed to advertise. Just an idea. Good luck anyway
If you can't be a good example, be a dire warning
MBNA charges and interest frozen
Egg/DLC repayment agreement reached
Feels like progress!0 -
Oh, also another thought, it might be worth contacting the Chartered Institute of Linguists about work as an interlocutor, which is basically doing role play type things with exam candidates http://www.iol.org.uk/jobs/default.asp (scroll to the bottom) it would probably only be a day or two's work in June but if you for whatever reason don't take the DPSI it might be worth applying.DFW stats:
Currently under review
Proud to be dealing with my debts0 -
http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_dpsi.asp
http://www.languageservicesltd.com/services_text.html#met
If you're more interested in written translation work there is also http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_diptrans.asp which is again available to just sit the exam.DFW stats:
Currently under review
Proud to be dealing with my debts0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards