🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Council Tax


Did not have a clue where to post this.

I am currently in an IVA and have given my keys back to the mortgage company. I gave the keys back last July and the Flat has been empty ever since.

I have now received a new bill for council tax as my 6 months free has ended and they are telling me i am not allowed another 6 months exemption.

I have told them i am no longer in possession of the property, but they are saying unless it has been officially repossessed with a court order i am still liable. I have spoken to my mortgage company and they have a buyer for the property but it is not quite complete.

I have been told that if i get a letter from the Mortgage company that states they have taken possession from what ever date, that this is enough to stop me paying council tax. Can anyone confirm that this is correct.



  • Foxy-Stoat_3
    Foxy-Stoat_3 Posts: 2,980 Forumite
    Unless someone has been in this situation you wont find answers on here. I would say get confirmation from your mortgage company or bank of the date they received the keys and send that to the council with confirmation of your new address and current council tax bill, which I assume you are paying somewhere else from whatever date.

    That way they can see that you are paying tax elsewhere which would back up your claim that you moved out.
    "Dream World" by The B Sharps....describes a lot of the posts in the Loans and Mortgage sections !!!
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,727 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Unless your lender has obtained a court order to repossess the property, you will still be considered to be the person liable to pay any council tax owing. However since you claim the lender has a buyer, it would seem that they have applied for and been granted a repossession order. So you need to obtain a copy and send it to the council.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards