AA renewal rip off

I recently got an AA breakdown insurance quote of £113.50.
This covers roadside and relay with a complementary home start.
I went onto the AA web site and found I could get the same cover for £105 and if I take off the complementary home start It would go down to £69.
I rang them and the best renewal they could offer was £90.

So if I cancel my cover and take it out at their best quote I will save £21.

Is this daft and has anyone else found things like this?

Comments

• I don't think that they will let you cancel and then take out a new policy straight away. You could ring them back and tell them you will cancel unless they give you the same offer as new costumers. They may reduce the price further. Good Luck with that!
    LittleFatFairy

• fungus_2
    fungus_2 Posts: 15 Forumite
    They did the same to me and quoted a horrifically inflated premium, so I threatened to leave for RAC and they agreed to charge the same as before.
    Good luck getting the price down!

:A
    Money Saving Convert!
    Property Deposit: £6038.08/£25,000 (24%)
    Credit Card Debt-Free by NYE 2011! :D
  • Have you tried AutoAid? £38 per year & gets great reviews:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=382667
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • My membership is due in may and with ROADSIDE, RELAY JOINT MEMBERSHIP and the complimentary STAY MOBILE FROM last year my quote is 187.00. If i go online and chose the same choices it comes to 130.90 a saving of 56.10.

Last year when something similar happen they gave me the online price on the phone.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Last year when something similar happen they gave me the online price on the phone.

Snap . Just be firm ( and polite) You have them over a barrel , give me wot I want , or I walk . Same cover from e.g RAC is cheaper .

Ps this from a AA member since the 1970's
  • xxdeebeexx
    xxdeebeexx Posts: 1,964 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Same happened to me with the AA. I phoned them up and renegotiated a lower price. I asked the chap why they didn't automatically offer the lower price and he replied " Not everybody wants a discount so we only give it to those people that ask" !!!

Dx
  • adwat
    adwat Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    I had the same experience this year... it makes me angry when I get treated like a mug. The AA clearly has done the sums and knows it can make more money overcharging existing customers for renewals rather than charging their best price. Well, maybe they can, but if we all responded to this cynical marketing ploy (more of a business model but anyway..) by cancelling our membership and joining another organisation, they would very quickly revert back to good customer service.
    MFi3T2 #98 - Mortgage Free 15/12/2011
  • nikki1520
    nikki1520 Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have this every year - I always get the best internet price form the competition, and then phone up whoever I'm with and they have to beat it or I'm moving. Always makes me smile when I think of the lady who tried to tell me that if I moved I wouldn't benefit from my no call out discount - she couldn't explain what the benefit to being charged £82 more was!

I'm always polite, and normally the rep has to go and speak to a manager, but it takes 5 minutes.
  • Dman
    Dman Posts: 26 Forumite
    Don't forget to use the cashback sites too, this gives you even more savings, I did this last year, & will be doing the same this year as my renewel is also like previous posts :)
  • fungus wrote: »
    They did the same to me and quoted a horrifically inflated premium, so I threatened to leave for RAC and they agreed to charge the same as before.
    Good luck getting the price down!

I have done exactly this. For years I was bouncing between the two on introductory offers (probably helped as I am unlucky with cars and end up changing them quite regularly) until I discovered that just threatening them with the competitor is enough.

Be warned though. I recently cancelled my cover with RAC due to free breakdown cover coming with my new car. I was harassed by phone, several times a day at varying times from several different numbers for nigh on three weeks before a harshly worded email stating that I considered this behaviour to be harassment, finally got me taken off of their call list. Not sure I'll be using them again in spite of their promise to offer me a greatly reduced rate next year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure