Options
13»

Comments

• Al1x
    Al1x Posts: 1,653 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TiTheRev wrote: »
    Just been visited by these guys, and because we are on working tax credits and get child benefit(?) we qualify for a free combi boiler and loft insulation. The insulation was done circa 10yrs ago, but because it's not 150mm and is fibreglass we can get it re-done?

I am a sceptic by nature, especially when it's all offered free, but the surveyor answered all of my questions convincingly and seemingly sensibly!

What might I need to watch for, or shall I just sit back & let them supply it all FOC?!

Just had a call about this today.. is it really free? does seem too good to be true
  • MrsNorris
    Options
    Had a cold call today. Let the guy in, he looked at the loft, left the papers, theyre coming to to the second check to make sure what was said earlier is correct and do paperwork. Husband suspicious. He says our energy bills will go up but we're with a different gas/lec company then who are connected to NES. Reading here im in two minds as to their legitimacy.
    Can anyone confirm anything about this company??! As i would really like free loft insulation as my house is frrrrrreezing!
  • jj_5
    jj_5 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    I used to work for this company, though didn't go round the doors. they are one of a number of companies offering this service, (effectively acting as a sales agency for the installers) the insulation IS free (MSE runs an article on it somewhere) and boilers are free aswell to anyone on certain benefits. So just get it done!

Dont agree with how they sell this stuff (door to door or cold calling) but i suppose they're fairly limited in their options
  • Ks2011
    Options
    Loft insulation is free for anyone, and so is hard to treat cavity (if the gap in your walls is 40-49mms, previously could not be done)

For boilers you either need to be on state pension credit, child tax credit with earnings under 16000 or on JSA, ESA or income support with a child under 16.

All home efficiency companies have self employed people going door to door for them so I'd suggest signing up for the first people to knock on your door as it will benefit you and in reality you've payed for it already through your energy bills (whether you get work carried out or not)

Read the documents they put forward before signing though!!! (any company in general)

Hope his helped :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport