59 year old failed 2nd medical for ESA after passing first....

Options

Comments

• Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    but this situation isnt in continental europe.
    it's here

But it's relevant to draw a parallel, which is what you did by introducing Spain into the discussion.

Why do we behave like this when other countries don't feel the need to?
  • Blobby8_2
    Blobby8_2 Posts: 2,009 Forumite
    Options
    But it's relevant to draw a parallel, which is what you did by introducing Spain into the discussion.

Why do we behave like this when other countries don't feel the need to?
    Err , because were mad ?
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    she doesnt 'not' want to speak english.
    in her day to day life the opportunity doesnt occur!

even her local sainsbury staff talk in her language!
    i was the oddity when i went in there with her.

she 'minds' my grandson when they are at work. she takes him to toddler groups where english is spoken, and makes every effort to join in.

all i am saying is that if a person that has been in this country for a number of years, and still speaks little english.......
    maybe its the fauklt of the 'powers that be' that allow communities to 'ghettoise'

it's so easy to castigate groups of people without understanding the the circumstances which led them to be where they are.

i find it far more offensive that british born people are 'allowed' to play the system.
    just look through these boards and you will see it time and again!
  • sardine
    sardine Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    I too think that arranging the interpreter was good customer service.

They will be looking to see if there is ANY work he can do, not just physical work.

If he fails again, he will have to go onto Jobseekers' Allowance until he is old enough to claim Pension Credit, sometime after he is sixty. Once he is on pension Credit, there will be no requirement to look for work.

Find the age he will be eligible for Pension Credit from this link:

http://pensions-service.direct.gov.uk/en/state-pension-age-calculator/home.asp
    I am aware that the intention is that the system of claiming Pension Credit for a male from the age that a woman could receive her OAP will cease.

In future Pension Credit will only be given when both parties (husband & wife) or indeed a single male all/each have reached the age at which the OAP is payable. Thus making sure that no male under 65, soon to be 68 will be able to claim Pension Credit. They should either claim ESA or JSA up until the normal retirement age instead.

The closure of a loophole that has been so badly abused in the past.
  • MissMoneypenny
    MissMoneypenny Posts: 5,324 Forumite
    edited 18 March 2011 at 10:24PM
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    It was mooted that you couldnt become a British citizen unless you could speak English and I think that its a very good idea,

This government have just brought that in. Plus those coming to the UK now, have to pass a set English test.

Along with lots of other new requirements, such as:-

Anyone owing the NHS 1k or more, no right of entry or right to stay in the UK, until their debt is paid.

No visa (including dependant visas) for those with an unspent criminal conviction (anything in court). Unspend = 5 years from court date.. No visas at all for certain crimes.

No settlement visa, unless convictions are spent.
    RENTING? Have you checked to see that your landlord has permission from their mortgage lender to rent the property? If not, you could be thrown out with very little notice.
    Read the sticky on the House Buying, Renting & Selling board.

• bertiebat
    bertiebat Posts: 310 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 March 2011 at 10:33PM
    Options
    she doesnt 'not' want to speak english.
    in her day to day life the opportunity doesnt occur!

even her local sainsbury staff talk in her language!
    i was the oddity when i went in there with her.

she 'minds' my grandson when they are at work. she takes him to toddler groups where english is spoken, and makes every effort to join in.

all i am saying is that if a person that has been in this country for a number of years, and still speaks little english.......
    maybe its the fauklt of the 'powers that be' that allow communities to 'ghettoise'

it's so easy to castigate groups of people without understanding the the circumstances which led them to be where they are.

i find it far more offensive that british born people are 'allowed' to play the system.
    just look through these boards and you will see it time and again!

Does everybody on these boards indicate where they were born?

I don't like anyone deliberately playing the system (as you call it), WHEREVER THEY ARE FROM. I make no distinction as to whether they are British born or not.

Edit to add:
    OP it sounds like you were treated quite badly and given the previous ESA assessment shows a complete discrepancy to this one, it would seem sensible to appeal.
    Just in case you were wondering (some have)..... I'm a woman!
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 18 March 2011 at 10:40PM
    Options
    but thats for the future sunnyone.
    my son's mother in law is indian. she has been in england for 30 years. but the area she lives in is predominately indian. she works as a home help for people within her community that speak the same language as her.
    she has taken english classes a few times, but when day to day, english isnt spoken, it's hard to become fluent.

when i talk to her, she understands me. but finds it hard to talk back to me in english.

what i'm trying to say is that not all immigrants don't talk english through choice.

if you lived in a british community in spain.........would you talk to other british people in spanish?

I lived in Spain full-time for five years and now do half-and-half. Our village is very traditional and most people don't speak anything other than Spanish.

Despite this, we have still found it very hard to learn the language. We can manage everyday stuff, but if it is anything slightly different (like the bank, or tax, or medical issues, or a telephone conversation when we can't see the body language), it is very difficult for us.

There are other a few other Brits in the village so we talk to them in English, and even with my friend who is Dutch but also speaks fluent Spanish, French and English, I speak to her in English.

We struggle on as we realise it is our responsibility to speak to our host people in their language, but for non-linguists of retirement age, it is not easy.

Not everyone is a born linguist.

However, if we need an interpreter we provide one ourselves and would not expect otherwise. I think it is excelelnt customer service for the DWP to provide one.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This government have just brought that in. Plus those coming to the UK now, have to pass a set English test.

Along with lots of other new requirements, such as:-

Anyone owing the NHS 1k or more, no right of entry or right to stay in the UK, until their debt is paid.

No visa (including dependant visas) for those with an unspent criminal conviction (anything in court). Unspend = 5 years from court date.. No visas at all for certain crimes.

No settlement visa, unless convictions are spent.

Thats great news, thankyou for posting it because we have for to long been the place to come for free health care and free benfits for all and it must stop.
  • MissMoneypenny
    Options
    sunnyone wrote: »
    Thats great news, thankyou for posting it because we have for to long been the place to come for free health care and free benfits for all and it must stop.

No visa renewals for those who claim benefits they weren't entitled to, either.

They have also just bought in a deception clause, for those who use the NHS when they aren't entitled to free NHS. Deception means a ban from the uk for a number of years: the number of years of the ban, depends on how quickly they exit from the UK when told to do so.
    RENTING? Have you checked to see that your landlord has permission from their mortgage lender to rent the property? If not, you could be thrown out with very little notice.
    Read the sticky on the House Buying, Renting & Selling board.

• sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No visa renewals for those who claim benefits they weren't entitled to, either.

They have also just bought in a deception clause, for those who use the NHS when they aren't entitled to free NHS. Deception means a ban from the uk for a number of years: the number of years of the ban, depends on how quickly they exit from the UK when told to do so.

I am not dreaming this am I?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport