Build up Credit rating to get a credit card - aged 18

Options
I turned 18 in march and havent had anything borrowed or any cards taken out in my name hence no credit score. How would i go about getting a credit card? ive got a debit account which has between 250-300 goin in a week yet still cant even get an agreed overdraft in that?

thanks

James

Comments

• Phoenix79_2
    Phoenix79_2 Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    Options
    Your best bet might be your bank.
  • Fahim_2
    Fahim_2 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    As phoenix79 says, your bank is your best bet. Also try to register yourself on electoral roll if not already and apply for Barclaycard Student or Barclaycard Initial. If you get approved, then try CapitalOne, AQUA and Vanquis. But don't apply for all of them in the same time. Leave 3-4 months between applying for each.
    01. Marriott Rewards VISA (£2700 @ 17.9%)
    02. HSBC MasterCard (£2250 @ 14.9%)
    03. HALIFAX One MasterCard (£2200 @ 12.9%)
    04. Monument VISA (£1000 @ 19.9%)
    05. Aqua MasterCard (£500 @ 29.9%)
  • Bokken_2
    Bokken_2 Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome to MSE.
    Stick with your bank to start with.(To start with means 5years)You can always have other accounts but if you have a long term relationship with your bank that will go a long way to maintaining a good credit score.
    The only other way to boost your score is by getting into manageble debt.
    ie. purcase something you need from Dixon/Curry's accept their credit offer set up a Direct Debit pay the first installment and then finalise the account paying what you owe in one payment so the account is clear.Don't use the account or their card again.
    If you do this a couple of times a year with differnt stores you will soon develop a credit score.
    You must make all your payments and no late payments other wise the hard work will be for nothing.
    good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport