We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Do I need to leave PC switched off for while to cool before adding RAM? EDIT DONE IT!

catlou
catlou Posts: 679 Forumite
Part of the Furniture
edited 16 March 2011 at 11:02PM in Techie Stuff
Hi all :D

I asked for advice on here previously about adding RAM to my desktop.

I have bought the correct one and I'm hoping to do it tonight. Do I need to leave the tower switched off for a while to "cool down"? Or can I just unplug it and do it?

Also I have bought a can of compressed air to clean the fan inside should I just clean that or should I clean other parts - don't want to do any damage? :(

Any other tips appreciated.

Big Thanks!
«1

Comments

  • googler
    googler Posts: 16,103 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think anti-static precautions are more important than temperature, so either use thin latex gloves when handling the chips, or an anti-static band.

    Ignore all advice to earth yourself on the PC casework once you've unplugged it, because then the casework won't be connected to earth.....

    If you're blowing the dust off various components, wear a face mask from B&Q, you don't want to stir it all up and breathe it all in. Or keep a household vacuum close by to hoover it all up once it's airborne.
  • catlou
    catlou Posts: 679 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    Thanks googler.

    Yes I do have a wrist band I was hoping to clip the other end on the casing of the tower (if that works?) as I'm going to be doing it in the garage - because of the dust!
  • santer_2
    santer_2 Posts: 4,406 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Might be an idea to hold the fan as the compressed air might spin it too fast
  • rygon
    rygon Posts: 748 Forumite
    Personally I make sure the power supply is disconnected. I touch a radiator to get rid of any static, then put the RAM in. Bit lazy maybe but as im only holding the RAM by the edges and not touching any electrical parts then im happy. Never had a problem with doing it that way either.
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    googler wrote: »
    Ignore all advice to earth yourself on the PC casework once you've unplugged it, because then the casework won't be connected to earth.....

    I thought the point of doing that was so the your charge potential matches that of the ground (i.e. chasis) of the PC. If you & the PC are at the same static charge, you won't cause a discharge when you touch it or transfer the memory to it... I could be wrong, though!

    In any case, I always leave the power cable plugged in but switched off either at the wall socket or the PSU isolator switch - in that way the case is earthed but no current is running through the PC. I've heard that it's a good idea to hit the power button on the PC after disconnecting the power so that any capacitors are discharged too.

    I try to keep one hand touching the metal case, or use an ESD wrist-strap too.
  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    when you have switched off at the wallpoint, press the power on button to discharge any residual current
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • catlou
    catlou Posts: 679 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    Thanks everyone! :D
  • catlou
    catlou Posts: 679 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    edited 16 March 2011 at 11:04PM
    Woohoooo!! :D

    Done it switched it on now shows total 1.43GB RAM

    Everything seems to be ok.....holding my breath & fingers crossed!! ;):o

    Is that really it - can I just leave the PC to it now?!?!

    Thanks everyone I would never have dreamt of attempting it without all the help I got on this board you have all been great.

    Feeling quite proud of myself and very Techie!! lol!! Off to set myself up as a independent expert pc consultant......Not!:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

    Thanks Again!!
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,625 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Ex forum ambassador

    Long term forum member
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.