We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
TV Panasonic or Samsung?
squibbs25
Posts: 1,324 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
Can anyone help me please!
Been looking into getting a new tv for ages to replace the dinosaur 20" crt we currently have.
We watch sport in general (i.e World Cup, Wimbledon) but not avid sports fans (if you know what i mean).
I might connect the wii up to it (currently on seperate tv in another room)
I think i've narrowed it down to these 2
1) Panasonic VIERA TX-L32D28B-P 32" Full HD LED TV
or
2) Samsung LE32C580 LCD TV
Can anyone comment on either of these tv's please.
I'm so scared of making an expensive mistake.
TIA
Been looking into getting a new tv for ages to replace the dinosaur 20" crt we currently have.
We watch sport in general (i.e World Cup, Wimbledon) but not avid sports fans (if you know what i mean).
I might connect the wii up to it (currently on seperate tv in another room)
I think i've narrowed it down to these 2
1) Panasonic VIERA TX-L32D28B-P 32" Full HD LED TV
or
2) Samsung LE32C580 LCD TV
Can anyone comment on either of these tv's please.
I'm so scared of making an expensive mistake.
TIA
My beloved dog Molly
27/05/1997-01/04/2008
RIP my wonderful stepdad - miss you loads
:Axxxxxxxxx:A
our new editions
Senna :male: and Dali :female: both JRT
0
Comments
-
I can't help with the Panasonic I'm afraid.
There is a review of the Samsung here http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-le40c580-le32c580-20100728791.htm and what owners think here http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-led-lcd-tvs/1287141-samsung-c580-owners-thread.html if that helps.0 -
You're not really comparing like with like there - as it's LED backlit the Panasonic will generally be more expensive than the Samsung.
When I looked last year I compared similar models, and the LED ones were very slightly more vivid than the LCDs, but in the end I went with a Samsung LCD as the extra cost of LED (then) did not seem worth it.0 -
There are two types of flat panel TV's, Plasma & LCD. Of the LCD type there are two ways of backlighting them, fluorescent tube or LED. The older ones have fluorescent tubes and the newer (and hence more expensive) ones have LED back lighting. Generally speaking if the fluorescent tube blows so does your TV as they are not always easy (or cheap) to replace. The LED ones should last a lot longer as the MTTF (mean time to failure) is over 99 years by which time your TV will be obsolete many times over or some other component would have failed.
For watching sports and any dynamic video where rapid changes in picture is called for then ghosting can be a problem as the TV can’t keep up. Go to a TV department at your local high street and look at the cheaper models and you will see the trailing edges ghosting as they can’t accurately track the movement. Watch a more expensive model and the ghosting won’t be there or hardly noticeable.
As usual it’s a subjective decision trading off the cost and acceptable quality to get the best balance for your budget. For unbiased (in my experience) advice plus a free five year parts and labour guarantee then John Lewis is a good place to visit when choosing a new telly.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Do not adjust your mind, the world is at fault.
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards