We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mozilla Thunderbird trouble

I have difficulties retrieving mail from mail.btinternet.com, and get this message:
The RETR command did not succeed. Error retrieving a message. Mail server mail.btinternet.com responded: problem retrieving message.
Does someone have a fix, or can point me in the right direction?

Comments

  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    It could be a duff email header and you could try this approach:
    1) Use your web browser to log into your mail using http://home.bt.yahoo.com/
    2) Find the message after the last one that you could read in Thunderbird, then read and delete it.
    3) Try Thunderbird again.

    Dave
  • stefano
    stefano Posts: 949 Forumite
    It's a fresh install. Only just downloaded Thunderbird. And it will not let me download any emails at all.
  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2011 at 3:14PM
    Sorry Stefano, you problem is beyond my knowledge/experience of Thunderbird :(

    Perhaps someone else can help.

    Just thought, My Thunderbird account settings from tools>account settings>server settings are:
    Pop3 mail server
    server name=mail.btinternet.com port=110
    User name= <my user name>
    Connection security=none*
    Authentication=Password transmitted insecurely*
    In order tick, tick and 10 mins, tick, blank, tick, tick and 31 days, tick, blank.

    The leave on the server is used so I can access mail from 2 PCs, not required for only one PC.

    Are yours the same?

    Dave

    *required

    Here's the BT guide for Thunderbird settings
  • dug123
    dug123 Posts: 297 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hi, I have Thunderbird and it downloads mail from all my accounts without a problem, but, for a few hours every so often I get the same message as you. I think it is a BT server problem because all my other email accounts work 100%, but do not worry a few hours later all is well and it downloads all emails from btinternet.
    I would not advise changing your settings, as I say it happens to me (and has for 18+ months) just on BTinternet
  • stefano
    stefano Posts: 949 Forumite
    Dave_C wrote: »
    Sorry Stefano, you problem is beyond my knowledge/experience of Thunderbird :(

    Perhaps someone else can help.

    Just thought, My Thunderbird account settings from tools>account settings>server settings are:
    Pop3 mail server
    server name=mail.btinternet.com port=110
    User name= <my user name>
    Connection security=none*
    Authentication=Password transmitted insecurely*
    In order tick, tick and 10 mins, tick, blank, tick, tick and 31 days, tick, blank.

    The leave on the server is used so I can access mail from 2 PCs, not required for only one PC.

    Are yours the same?

    Dave

    *required

    Here's the BT guide for Thunderbird settings

    My settings are the same.
    Just a question: is the User name the whole email address or just the user name without @btinternet.com?

    BTW: I also have a hotmail account, and that work absolutely fine. I have now tried emptying my BT inbox, and I will wait and see if that makes any difference.
  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    The username is usually your real name for example
    Email address Joe.Bloggs@btinternet.com
    User name Joe Bloggs

    HTH, Dave
  • stefano
    stefano Posts: 949 Forumite
    I seem to have solved the problem. I have transfered all my inbox to a new folder, and I am now receiving my emails on thunderbird.
  • steve1980
    steve1980 Posts: 2,334 Forumite
    Instead of using POP3 why not use IMAP then they will be synced with the server.
    Estate Agent, Web Designer & All Round Geek!
  • Dave_C_2
    Dave_C_2 Posts: 1,827 Forumite
    Last time I checked, BT mail doesn't work with IMAP :(
    It was a couple of years ago, so it could've changed since then.
    Dave
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.