We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Avast tool bar help please

Hi I have installed avast free antivirus onto my computer (XP) and I keep getting a fat, avast, tool bar that i can't seem to hide permenantly. I can turn it off but as soon as I open a new page, ther it is again.

Could someone please suggest a way of getting rid of it.

TIA

Dx

Comments

  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    Where is the tool bar?

    I only have a little avast icon in the bottom of my desktop page.
  • xxdeebeexx
    xxdeebeexx Posts: 1,964 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    lucylucky wrote: »
    Where is the tool bar?

    I only have a little avast icon in the bottom of my desktop page.


    It comes up between the search bar and the page tabs

    Dx
  • danmanchester
    danmanchester Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Just go to Add & Remove programs and see if it's listed separately from Avast antivirus itself, and if so just uninstall.

    If you can't see the toolbar in Add & Remove programs then you should just be able to disable it in Internet Explorer: Tools/Manage addons/Toolbars and extensions, highlight the avast toolbar and click to disable. In Firefox similar route: Tools/Add-ons highlight the toolbar and disable.
  • xxdeebeexx
    xxdeebeexx Posts: 1,964 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    [QUOTE=danmanchester;42007928
    If you can't see the toolbar in Add & Remove programs then you should just be able to disable it in Internet Explorer: Tools/Manage addons/Toolbars and extensions, highlight the avast toolbar and click to disable. In Firefox similar route: Tools/Add-ons highlight the toolbar and disable.[/QUOTE]


    Thanks that did the trick!

    I'm now trying to remove MSN messenger....... dio I do this the same way?

    TIA
    Dx
  • spg_SCOTT
    spg_SCOTT Posts: 171 Forumite
    Just for info, the avast toolbar is WebRep. In IE it has to be a toolbar because that is the only way to have a dynamic button - i.e. it changes colour. I believe there are other apps that do this as well.

    deebee, you could have also looked in avast - Additional Protection - Webrep - Here is where the browsers that it is installed in and can be uninstalled from there. You should have also been prompted when updating to version 6 whether you wanted webrep or not.


    God I hate toolbars...

    The MSN program, or toolbar?
    You should be able to remove the toolbar from the addons menu that danmanchester mentioned.
    -Scott-

    “There is a computer disease that anybody who works with computers knows about. It's a very serious disease and it interferes completely with the work. The trouble with computers is that you 'play' with them!” Richard Feynman
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.