We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Laptop recommendation for journalist

Evening all.

I know there are plenty of threads with people asking for laptop recommendations, but this one is a bit more specific. I'm quite knowledgable when it comes to laptops, but as there are plenty of better qualified people on here, I thought I would ask for help.

I'm a journalist on the hunt for a new laptop. I'd like something powerful but also something light in weight. As I'm out a lot of the time with no guarantee of a plug socket, I'd like it to have a good battery life. Finally I'm looking to spend around the £400 mark. I apologise if it's all been asked before but I know this is the place with people in the know.

Many thanks. Josh

Comments

  • josha007
    josha007 Posts: 224 Forumite
    That looks a pretty decent laptop for the price, I'm plesantly surprised. Thanks Russ

    Anyone else with knowledge of other good laptops that might suit my needs?
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    I know a number of journos that use ipads.

    What do you want to use it for?
  • josha007
    josha007 Posts: 224 Forumite
    Well I'm a sports journalist, so mobility is an important factor. I have thought about an iPad but I'd also like to use the laptop at home for computer use too. I have big fingers too so I might hit two keys at the same time on the iPad.lol.
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    josha007 wrote: »
    Well I'm a sports journalist, so mobility is an important factor. I have thought about an iPad but I'd also like to use the laptop at home for computer use too. I have big fingers too so I might hit two keys at the same time on the iPad.lol.

    Typing on the key pad seems to be pretty good from what I have seen, and it is mostly sports journos using them I see on a weekly basis.

    However others use laptops as they need access to VPNs and the like and I am not sure if this can be done on an ipad.
  • BackOnTrack
    BackOnTrack Posts: 574 Forumite
    Why do you need something powerful? A netbook would seem to tick all your boxes except for the speed.
    There's no sense crying over every mistake.
    You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,129 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I agree, if all you're running is Word/MS Office, emailing and surfing, a netbook with 2GB of RAM will be the best balance of portability battery life and usability. Even the most basic modern laptop will do that. Assuming you don't need an optical drive-if you do, keep a external one at home.
    A 10" netbook is an awful lot easier to lug around than a 15" laptop.
    If you can double your budget then I'd go for a MacBook.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY A CONSUMER GRADE LAPTOP. If you can find it in Currys, avoid it. They simply are not rugged enough for the hammer you'll be giving it.

    If it were my money, I'd get on Ebay and find a Thinkpad x61s or x200s. They're lightweight but built like tanks with good battery life. You should be able to find some with at least 1 year left of the Next Day On Site parts and labour guarantee - hell, I've sold plenty for £400 sometimes with over 2 years left. They were both over £1300 when new.
  • Mr_Oink
    Mr_Oink Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    Take a look at the Panasonic Toughbook range. The CF-29 is popular secondhand and rugged - but may not tick all the boxes.
  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    If you can wait a few months there's the ASUS Eee pad Slider.

    It's a android based 10.1 inch screen (1280 x 800) it holds a physical keyboard hidden beneath the screen.
    it's gonna be around the £300 mark

    http://www.reghardware.com/2011/03/15/preview_tablet_asus_eee_pad_slider/

    But with This type of device expect Ubuntu, or other Linix flavour, to be available for self install if you don't like the Android Honeycomb OS..
    Laters

    Sol

    "Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • welshdent
    welshdent Posts: 2,003 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Mac book air? Good for carrying around and good battery life
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.