We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Acer Aspire 3053WXMi on slow down
INSPIRED
Posts: 197 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
For the last couple of days my laptop has started to slow down and, sometimes, freezes. If I leave it running to go off and do something else for a short while it freezes and parts of the screen go black.
If I put it into hibernation it won't wake up.
If I put it on standby, it freezes on start up.
"Pages" are slow to load and shut down - sometimes I cannot access task manager to shut down programmes.
I have to switch off to shutdown and on start up check disc runs automatically.
I have run an online scan and there are no problems.
I am running Windows XP, AVG 9 and Zonealarm.
I am about to backup to the external hard drive.
Any ideas would be most welcome
Thank you
If I put it into hibernation it won't wake up.
If I put it on standby, it freezes on start up.
"Pages" are slow to load and shut down - sometimes I cannot access task manager to shut down programmes.
I have to switch off to shutdown and on start up check disc runs automatically.
I have run an online scan and there are no problems.
I am running Windows XP, AVG 9 and Zonealarm.
I am about to backup to the external hard drive.
Any ideas would be most welcome
Thank you
0
Comments
-
uninstall avg, zonealarm, replace with avast and windows firewall, post a hijackthis log, try it without the battery in, disable power saving!!
> . !!!! ----> .0 -
Many thanks closed for your assistance.uninstall avg, zonealarm, replace with avast and windows firewall, post a hijackthis log, try it without the battery in, disable power saving
I did have avast but did not like it - now I cannot get rid of AVG. Honestly, I have tried repeated uninstalls and Revouninstaller. It just stays there, corrupted so I have to repair with the latest edition.
Last time I removed zonealarm I had problems trusted zones, file sharing etc on our home network.
Here is the hijackthis log -
Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 17:59:32, on 14/03/2011
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.17080)
Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trusteer\Rapport\bin\RapportMgmtService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePerformance\MemCheck.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgnsx.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgchsvx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\tcpsvcs.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\UPHClean\uphclean.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe
C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eLock\Service\eLockServ.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\Agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trusteer\Rapport\bin\RapportService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eDataSecurity\eDSloader.exe
C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePresentation\ePresentation.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePower\ePower_DMC.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLI.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\LAUNCH~1\QtZgAcer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eRecovery\eRAgent.exe
C:\Program Files\PERFECT SERIES\MULTI-DIRECTION OPTICAL MOUSE\1.4\MOUSE32A.EXE
C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
C:\WINDOWS\FixCamera.exe
C:\WINDOWS\tsnp2std.exe
C:\WINDOWS\vsnp2std.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\Acer.Empowering.Framework.Launcher.exe
C:\Program Files\valecam\SilkQuit\SilkQuit.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\DOCUME~1\Tricia\LOCALS~1\Temp\RtkBtMnt.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\agent\bin\avgidsmonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\cli.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Skype\Plugin Manager\skypePM.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgrsx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgscanx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_clipbook.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Tricia\My Documents\Downloads\HijackThis.exe
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp/defaults/su/*http://uk.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://global.acer.com/
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O2 - BHO: HP Print Enhancer - {0347C33E-8762-4905-BF09-768834316C61} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_printenhancer.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - c:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgssie.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: SkypeIEPluginBHO - {AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
O2 - BHO: ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker BHO - {F0D4B231-DA4B-4daf-81E4-DFEE4931A4AA} - C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarmSB\bar\1.bin\SPYBLOCK.DLL
O2 - BHO: SingleInstance Class - {FDAD4DA1-61A2-4FD8-9C17-86F7AC245081} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\YTSingleInstance.dll
O2 - BHO: HP Smart BHO Class - {FFFFFFFF-CF4E-4F2B-BDC2-0E72E116A856} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Acer eDataSecurity Management - {5CBE3B7C-1E47-477e-A7DD-396DB0476E29} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\eDStoolbar.dll
O3 - Toolbar: ZoneAlarm Spy Blocker - {F0D4B239-DA4B-4daf-81E4-DFEE4931A4AA} - C:\Program Files\ZoneAlarmSB\bar\1.bin\SPYBLOCK.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn\yt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ehTray] C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AzMixerSel] C:\Program Files\Realtek\InstallShield\AzMixerSel.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ntiMUI] C:\Program Files\NewTech Infosystems\NTI CD & DVD-Maker 7\ntiMUI.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eDataSecurity Loader] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eDataSecurity\eDSloader.exe 1
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Acer ePresentation HPD] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePresentation\ePresentation.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IMJPMIG8.1] "C:\WINDOWS\IME\imjp8_1\IMJPMIG.EXE" /Spoil /RemAdvDef /Migration32
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSPY2002] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\PINTLGNT\ImScInst.exe /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002ASync] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /SYNC
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PHIME2002A] C:\WINDOWS\system32\IME\TINTLGNT\TINTSETP.EXE /IMEName
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ePower_DMC] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePower\ePower_DMC.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Boot] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePower\Boot.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATICCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\CLIStart.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LManager] C:\PROGRA~1\LAUNCH~1\QtZgAcer.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [eRecoveryService] C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eRecovery\eRAgent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LWBMOUSE] C:\Program Files\PERFECT SERIES\MULTI-DIRECTION OPTICAL MOUSE\1.4\MOUSE32A.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2}] C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SkyTel] SkyTel.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FixCamera] C:\WINDOWS\FixCamera.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tsnp2std] C:\WINDOWS\tsnp2std.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [snp2std] C:\WINDOWS\vsnp2std.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_TRAY] C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [AvgUninstallURL] cmd.exe /c start http://www.avg.com/ww.special-uninstallation-feedback-appf?lic=NFVZOVgtTlNWVkwtTzRCWlEtUUlNQ0wtUVREQ0gtNElKTUg"&"inst=NzctNDkyMDU5NTM2LVQxLVU4NSsxLUJBKzEtS1YzKzctWEwrMS1VQ0FMTCsxLVVDQUxMMisyLVRCOCsyLUZMKzgtUUlYMSszLVZJUDEwKzEtRjEwTTEwQysx"&"prod=90"&"ver=10.0.1204
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Outlook.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Acer Empowering Technology.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: SilkQuit Meter.lnk = C:\Program Files\valecam\SilkQuit\SilkQuit.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O9 - Extra button: Skype add-on for Internet Explorer - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Skype add-on for Internet Explorer - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O9 - Extra button: Show or hide HP Smart Web Printing - {DDE87865-83C5-48c4-8357-2F5B1AA84522} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.lbp.police.uk
O16 - DPF: {11260943-421B-11D0-8EAC-0000C07D88CF} (iPIX ActiveX Control) - http://www.ipix.com/download/ipixx.cab
O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.exe.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/funwebproducts/ei/MyFunCardsFWBInitialSetup1.0.0.15-3.cab
O16 - DPF: {38AB0814-B09B-4378-9940-14A19638C3C2} (Auctiva Image Uploader Control) - http://www.auctiva.com/Aurigma/ImageUploader57.cab
O16 - DPF: {3D3B42C2-11BF-4732-A304-A01384B70D68} (UploadListView Class) - http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/s/v/56.11/uploader2.cab
O16 - DPF: {474F00F5-3853-492C-AC3A-476512BBC336} (UploadListView Class) - http://picasaweb.google.com/s/v/24.16/uploader2.cab
O16 - DPF: {4C39376E-FA9D-4349-BACC-D305C1750EF3} (EPUImageControl Class) - http://tools.ebayimg.com/eps/wl/activex/eBay_Enhanced_Picture_Control_v1-0-3-48.cab
O16 - DPF: {5C6698D9-7BE4-4122-8EC5-291D84DBD4A0} (Facebook Photo Uploader 4 Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/FacebookPhotoUploader3.cab
O16 - DPF: {7F8C8173-AD80-4807-AA75-5672F22B4582} (ICSScanner Class) - http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/promotions/spywaredetector/ICSScanner371270.cab
O16 - DPF: {9040CEB8-85B2-4F81-949D-0A6D7D40AF9D} - http://downloads.virginmedia.com/CST/ver1/vmtoolbar.cab
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O16 - DPF: {E06E2E99-0AA1-11D4-ABA6-0060082AA75C} (GpcContainer Class) - https://mwmuk.webex.com/client/v_mywebex-mwm/mywebex/ieatgpc.cab
O16 - DPF: {FD0EBBED-0C42-4D0F-82DA-44399B5C420A} (VM_1.VM_Control) - http://downloads.virginmedia.com/CST/ver1/xp_mail.cab
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgpp.dll
O18 - Protocol: skype-ie-addon-data - {91774881-D725-4E58-B298-07617B9B86A8} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Memory Check Service (AcerMemUsageCheckService) - Acer Inc. - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\ePerformance\MemCheck.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: AVGIDSAgent - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\Agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe
O23 - Service: AVG WatchDog (avgwd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: eLock Service (eLockService) - - C:\Acer\Empowering Technology\eLock\Service\eLockServ.exe
O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Rapport Management Service (RapportMgmtService) - Trusteer Ltd. - C:\Program Files\Trusteer\Rapport\bin\RapportMgmtService.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ZONELABS\vsmon.exe
--
End of file - 14420 bytes
Don't have a clue!! But there seems to be a lot of old junk there and what on earth does 015 "Trusted Zone - ***police.co uk mean??
Should I have posted the log on a seperate thread?
How do I disable the power saving?
Many thanks.0 -
You've got far too much software running at startup.
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2436849
avg and zonealarm have a removal tool to cleanup properly, download and run them. removing ZA should make filesharing easier rather than harder.
suggest you try avast 6 free again, as it's the lightest available, and uninstall rapport.
IE is out of date.
trusted zone means you've lowered the ie security for the lbp website at some stage!!
> . !!!! ----> .0 -
You've got far too much software running at startup.
https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2436849
Many thanks for that - I will work my way through it.
avg and zonealarm have a removal tool to cleanup properly, download and run them. removing ZA should make filesharing easier rather than harder.
I had forgotten about the AVG removal tool - shall give it a go.....and will try Windows Firewall again.
suggest you try avast 6 free again, as it's the lightest available, and uninstall rapport.
Rapport - recommended by 2 of my online banks. Honestly, do I not need it?
IE is out of date.
Yes, I know but heard so many bad reports about IE8, I was waiting for them to be fixed. Shall do as you recommend.
trusted zone means you've lowered the ie security for the lbp website at some stage
I have had a look in ZA trusted zones but there is no record of it. Hopefully, all will be resolved when I remove ZA (?)
I am extremely grateful to you for all this assistance.0 -
Remove AVG with the removal tools here
Remove Zone alarm with Appremove. Also check for any failed uninstalls afterwards, as there may be remnants from other times.
Revo uninstaller for everything else, especially Rapport!
If you genuinely don't like Avast, then Avira (antivirus only) or MSE (antivirus & spyware) are well regarded alternatives. I've recently been won over by Avast.0 -
all banks are pushing rapport, it's not essential or mandatory, and will be slowing your machine down.
ie zones are different to za zones. delete it from IE, tools, internet options, security, trusted sites, sites!!
> . !!!! ----> .0 -
Remove AVG with the removal tools here
Remove Zone alarm with Appremove. Also check for any failed uninstalls afterwards, as there may be remnants from other times.
Revo uninstaller for everything else, especially Rapport!
If you genuinely don't like Avast, then Avira (antivirus only) or MSE (antivirus & spyware) are well regarded alternatives. I've recently been won over by Avast.
Many thanks for your help.
AVG, ZA & Rapport all removed and Avast installed. Hopefully. I will come to terms with Avast but now remember the reasons why I did not like it. It has begun a scan at every startup today - yes, I want it to scan at startup but I would rather it scan quietly in the background while I get on with other things.
Also, I have had to remove SSL/TLS from my email account because Avast says that it has taken control of security but ..... how do I know that it is scanning incoming and outgoing emails?
I admit to feeling vunerable without ZA and Rapport. However, everthing is running faster now.
Once again - many thanks0 -
all banks are pushing rapport, it's not essential or mandatory, and will be slowing your machine down.
ie zones are different to za zones. delete it from IE, tools, internet options, security, trusted sites, sites
Many thanks, I have deleted it from IE - heaven knows how it got in there.
As I said to RussJK, I am feeling vunerable without ZA and Rapport but shall bow to your expert knowledge. Have also installed IE8.
Now to have a look at what is loading on startup and see if I can reduce it.0 -
avast doesn't scan at startup by default unless you schedule it, which can be turned on or off in the settings. The only popup you should get after a boot is one saying it has updated, which if it annoys you can also be turned off in the settings.
It does a scan after first install, after that it shouldn't be scanning on startup unless you've asked it to (which I don't recommend), just acting as a resident scanner
click realtime shields, mail shield, and you can see the email scanning. Most isp scans email anyway, before you get it.
do occasional scans with malwarebytes too
If you have uninstalled ZA, check that windows firewall is on in control panel, security center. If you have a router, that acts as a firewall too.
What's your installed ram and commit charge?!!
> . !!!! ----> .0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards