We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Does it matter where hosting company is ?
ahll
Posts: 1,508 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
Hi
I am just about to emback on getting my first website on the go..I have decided on my domain name but not so sure who to use for hosting !
Is it best to buy the domain name from the company you are going to host with ?
Does it matter where the hosting company is based ?
I believe Go Daddy is in the USA and Reg 123 in the uk...
Thanks
I am just about to emback on getting my first website on the go..I have decided on my domain name but not so sure who to use for hosting !
Is it best to buy the domain name from the company you are going to host with ?
Does it matter where the hosting company is based ?
I believe Go Daddy is in the USA and Reg 123 in the uk...
Thanks
"The time is always right to do what is right"
0
Comments
-
Siting a website aimed at a UK audience on a US server means every request will have additional latency (delay) so the page will load fractionally slower here than if it was UK based everything else being equal.0
-
Ok thanks for that. I look at a lot of sites that are .com so i guess many in the USA and I have not noticed a great delay...is this delay really going to be that noticable to a client ?"The time is always right to do what is right"0
-
Probably not so long as the pages are not made up of lots of separate elements but it will still be slightly slower than uk hosting for uk visitors.
There is no correlation between the TLD (.com .co.uk etc) and where the server or domain registrar are located.0 -
I have a .co.uk address hosted on a server in the US, specifically Atlanta I think. As has been said, distance might cause small latency but I can't notice it to be honest. It's usually in the order of 10s of milliseconds.
Other location factors are things like support, time zone differences might produce delays if you try to contact your host, my one has round the clock response so not much problem there. I get billed in dollars too, but that doesn't bother me.If you think of it as 'us' verses 'them', then it's probably your side that are the villains.0 -
I've used Namesco for domain reg and hosting for a number of years - UK based, with real people customer support0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards