We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Which Sat Nav?

Hi Can anyone recommend a good Tomtom sat nav.
I've never had one before, so have no knowledge of sat navs.

I want a Tomtom, I dont need European coverage, and am looking to pay anything upto £140ish. Also do all sat navs need to be updated via a annual cost?

Many thanks :-)
«1

Comments

  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    if you have gps on your mobile use google navigation - its good and more importantly free
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    if you have gps on your mobile use google navigation - its good and more importantly free

    ..only if you don't pay for data and as long as you have a mobile signal.
  • GymGirl_2
    GymGirl_2 Posts: 83 Forumite
    Mmmmmmm thanks but i dont have that function on my mobile :-(
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I know nothing about tomtoms, but my old satnav recently died and after a lot of research, and speaking to satnav owners I eventually settled on a Garmin. I got a refurb from Amazon (with full guarantee), paid around £75 for it, and it is a HUGE improvement on my old one.

    Of course, if you are totally stuck on tomtom, that is a bit of useless information :D
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • lucylucky
    lucylucky Posts: 4,908 Forumite
    "Also do all sat navs need to be updated via a annual cost?"

    The maps data do not need to be updated but obvioulsy the more up to date info you have the more accurate the device and directions given.
  • GymGirl_2
    GymGirl_2 Posts: 83 Forumite
    lucylucky wrote: »
    "Also do all sat navs need to be updated via a annual cost?"

    The maps data do not need to be updated but obvioulsy the more up to date info you have the more accurate the device and directions given.

    Thanks - I wasnt sure if you could just 'plug' them into computer and get them updated via internet, but i guess its a money making thing isnt it.
  • Quenastoise
    Quenastoise Posts: 341 Forumite
    I have road-tested my friend's TomTom One XL and both DH who was driving and I who was navigating liked it. Our main criterion is the reliability of the instructions, and we couldn't fault the TomTom.

    My friend says that she updates the map at no cost through the TomTom site

    The only reservation we have with TomTom compared to Garmin is that their sales support service has a bad rep apparently
    Keep calm and carry on
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I am fairly certain mine updates at no cost when I plug it into the computer. Certainly I ran the update not long after I got it and there was no cost. I haven't bothered since, but I'm sure the garmin site will have the info.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • santer_2
    santer_2 Posts: 4,406 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    If you get a Tom Tom, try for one with live services, those are updated with a PC and costs an annual £47:50 at the moment.

    The most useful to me is advanced lane guidance where it tells you which lane to be in, usually a couple of miles ahead of needing to be in a particular lane, saves any looking away from the road on motorways. Next most useful is HD Traffic which usually keeps you away from traffic jams, mine is set for eco routes, intended to keep you moving as opposed to sitting in traffic on the shortest route.

    I haven't bothered updating the maps.

    Here is one, though check for prices, this has 12 months Live Services included

    http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/3085/tomtom-xl-live-uk---ireland---free-12-months-live-services

    .
  • Linbox
    Linbox Posts: 383 Forumite
    Garmin allows one map upgrade for free, you then need to pay for any additional map upgrade (through Garmin)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.