We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Starting a website

Hi all

I am starting my own business in the next few months, and am looking to get a website up and running. The domain I require is available but apart from that I am unsure about what to look for when registering the site? I don't require payment facilities on teh site just more of a contact us page and a description of services.

Thanks in advance

Meeb

Comments

  • dg1dd1ngs_2
    dg1dd1ngs_2 Posts: 127 Forumite
    Do you need help atually creating the site or hosting the site? or both?
    R.I.P Dad. I will never forget you xxx
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,625 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    many domain sites offer basic 2 or 3 page web sites

    otherwise this

    http://www.office live.com/free-website?xid=c2logo

    free from microsoft and point your domain at the web space

    (you need to remove the space between office and live to get the link to work , on the forums blocking filter )
    Ex forum ambassador

    Long term forum member
  • meebsquat
    meebsquat Posts: 53 Forumite
    i'm pretty sure with time I can make teh site, but hosting is another thing. As far as I understand it, you pay someone for the domain name and that is it? What else should I be looking for?
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,625 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 13 March 2011 at 4:32PM
    yes basically thats it , point meebsquatsite.co.uk at the free web site you have created , you normally get Control Panel (Cpanel) at your domain host

    something like this

    http://194.1.150.220/support/knowledgebase/global-gold-my-account-area/web-email-fowarding
    Ex forum ambassador

    Long term forum member
  • meebsquat
    meebsquat Posts: 53 Forumite
    CP - is this too make adjustments to the site?
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,625 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    yes, and view visitor stats etc, office Live does its own stats for you
    Ex forum ambassador

    Long term forum member
  • meebsquat
    meebsquat Posts: 53 Forumite
    Thanks for teh help! Is there any particular company I should use to buy the domain name from?
  • dg1dd1ngs_2
    dg1dd1ngs_2 Posts: 127 Forumite
    1&1 or 123 are the obvious ones, I have never had any problems with either of them :)
    DomainExpress are also excellent.
    R.I.P Dad. I will never forget you xxx
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,795 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    I recently wanted to get my own domain and setup a website and some related email accounts. Was recommended (on here) to this provider:

    http://www.krystal.co.uk/web-hosting/

    Must say its been very good, I'm sure its not the cheapest but it was a doddle to sign up and the basic package includes all you need - registration of my domain for free, hosting of a website and as many emails as you want all in one step.

    Just needed a free basic FTP program to upload a few basic pages, went into the control panel and setup a few basic POP3 email accounts, added the setting to my email program and tested with a few emails. All done.
    The package can be upgraded or downgraded at any time. All easy to operate and plenty of help where needed.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.