We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Looking for free remote desktop services.

Any forum users have experience of remote desktops services (not web top) available from a browser (and java) like Windows TS or Tarantella that require no additional software?
Discounted webtops (i.e. iCloud) and VNC (no host). I need a desktop I can access from anywhere which runs basic apps and essentially, a tabbed browser so that sessions are preserved or quickly & easily restored.

Comments

  • S0litaire
    S0litaire Posts: 3,535 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    In a pinch i've used "NetMeeting" it's in EVERY version of windows already and if set up correctly gives you full control of a client system via IP address.

    Depending on you OS you might already have a web based Remote Desktop (Vista had it, don't know about what version you need in Win7 to get it).
    Laters

    Sol

    "Have you found the secrets of the universe? Asked Zebade "I'm sure I left them here somewhere"
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Not entirely sure I understand the question or what you're trying to do, but I've used VNC applications such as UltraVNC and TightVNC. To allow an external connection, you'll need to forward TCP ports 5800 and 5900 to the relevant PC.

    I think VNC can be used as a Java application or via a web browser too.

    I guess this probably doesn't help if you've discounted VNC already, though...
  • David_Brent
    David_Brent Posts: 697 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    I use logmein its free and can access you computer remotely if logged on - https://secure.logmein.com
    !"£$%^&*()
  • KillerWatt
    KillerWatt Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    esuhl wrote: »
    I think VNC can be used as a Java application or via a web browser too.
    Yup, it's only the target machine that needs to run the server.
    Once the VNC server is running (and configured correctly), the target machine can be accessed from any web browser.
    Remember kids, it's the volts that jolt and the mills that kill.
  • To clarify, I require access to a hosted virtual desktop service (not software) I don't own, regularly which has applications such as a browser and possibly word processor/spread sheet. Windows TS and Tarantella would fit
    the bill but don't own either the hardware, software or a hosting environment.
  • Linbox
    Linbox Posts: 383 Forumite
    Any forum users have experience of remote desktops services (not web top) available from a browser (and java) like Windows TS or Tarantella that require no additional software?
    Discounted webtops (i.e. iCloud) and VNC (no host). I need a desktop I can access from anywhere which runs basic apps and essentially, a tabbed browser so that sessions are preserved or quickly & easily restored.

    I use TeamViewer (FREE)
    Setup the computer you want to log into, to start teamviewer at startup and setup a good password. On the remote computer just enter the "Your Id" from the other teamviwer and the password you've already setup. Press connect to partner and away to go.

    You don't even need to install TeamViewer on the computers if you have someone at both ends as it will run in portable mode and will remember the Your Id from the last session.

    joinme from logmein seems popular and runs from a browser.

    Take a look at 7-easy-screen-sharing-and-remote-access-tools-all-free/
  • Linbox
    Linbox Posts: 383 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2011 at 5:47PM
    After rereading, you seem to be asking for a virtual computer located on the net. That you can loginto and brows from the virtual pc.
    Having goggled "hosted virtual desktop service" looks like its available but not for free.

    As for spreadsheet and word-processing you could try goggle docs.
  • Try using gosupportnow remote support service. It is easy to use, no download of any kind and costs only $19.95 / month.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.