We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Norton SystemWorks 2005 - need alternative

I have been using Norton SystemWorks including the Symantec anti virus software since 2005. I have renewed this annually as I have been happy with both the anti virus software (which has caught a few nasties over the years) and a few of the cleanup/registry features of SystemWorks.

My renewal is now due, however Symantec no longer support SystemWorks 2005 and I am being offered the option to upgrade to either Norton Internet Security 2001 (£39.99) or Norton 360 5.0 (£54.99).

I seek the advice of the forum. Should I go for either of these alternatives (seem expensive to me), move to an alternative package, or simply install one of the free anti virus programs (such as AVG) that are available?

Any help and advice much appreciated.

Comments

  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 8,635 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Ditch Norton, making sure it is totally uninstalled.
    Install one of the freebies such as (but not) AVG.

    Lots of threads on here about what to use.

    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    avast 6 free, ccleaner free, malwarebytes free

    download and run the norton removal tool
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • Many thanks for your speedy help and advice!

    I have used the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of all the Norton/Symantec components.

    Downloaded Avast (couldn't get it to download from the Avast website so use filehippo.com).

    Downloaded CCleaner.

    Already have Malwarebytes installed.

    Thanks again.
  • birkee
    birkee Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Never renew via internet. You can get the software at half price or less when buying a security package from an outside source. i.e. Amazon, ebuyer etc.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.