We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Do PCIe motherboards require mandatory PCIe graphics cards to run?
dragonfruit
Posts: 170 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
Do PCI express x16 motherboards require mandatory PCIe graphics card to run?
I am trying to run Celeron D 3.20 GHz on MS-7187 ver. 3.C motherboard ( http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/pc/t9207.htm )
with only PCI graphics card, as I have no PCIe graphics card.
The motherboard is from Medion PC model: PC MT7 MED MT 427G
When I try to turn it on the fan on CPU spins for a second or two and then stops, but when I press the power button again it behaves differently: the fan spins fast then slows down and spins all the time slowly, I can also hear a floppy drive seek sound, so it seems to be working, but the monitor screen is black - it seems that there is no signal coming out of the PCI graphics card. I tried two of them already.
So what is the problem? Is the CPU or the motherboard faulty or PCI graphics cards or simply PCIe motherboards have to have PCIe graphics card installed in order to run at all?
BTW, does anyone know if this motherboard can support 2TB hard drives? The latest motherboard BIOS update on Medions webpage is ver. 4.03 from 18.07.2006.
Many thanks for your replies and suggestions.
I am trying to run Celeron D 3.20 GHz on MS-7187 ver. 3.C motherboard ( http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/pc/t9207.htm )
with only PCI graphics card, as I have no PCIe graphics card.
The motherboard is from Medion PC model: PC MT7 MED MT 427G
When I try to turn it on the fan on CPU spins for a second or two and then stops, but when I press the power button again it behaves differently: the fan spins fast then slows down and spins all the time slowly, I can also hear a floppy drive seek sound, so it seems to be working, but the monitor screen is black - it seems that there is no signal coming out of the PCI graphics card. I tried two of them already.
So what is the problem? Is the CPU or the motherboard faulty or PCI graphics cards or simply PCIe motherboards have to have PCIe graphics card installed in order to run at all?
BTW, does anyone know if this motherboard can support 2TB hard drives? The latest motherboard BIOS update on Medions webpage is ver. 4.03 from 18.07.2006.
Many thanks for your replies and suggestions.
0
Comments
-
Any beeps from the speaker? Did you connect it?
It should be possible to work with a PCI graphics card. Mine does seem to support them in the Bios as the first graphics device.
The drive, I don't know, it's one of those "how long is a piece of string" type questions as I don't know what the motherboard Bios supports. That motherboard is quite old so might not be able to support it.
But without getting the rest working it's a moot point at this time.
If there are no beeps then the CPU should be suspected.0 -
Just had our motherboard replaced and needed different RAM (was DDR2 needed DDR3) but the graphics card has not changed.Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits0
-
If you're hearing the floppy seek then it's at least getting part way through POST, which suggests that the CPU is functioning up to that point.
Are you confident that the memory is compatible? POST won't get as far as initialising the display if the BIOS has no memory available.0 -
Have you tried the other PCI slot?Remember kids, it's the volts that jolt and the mills that kill.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
