We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
which tough digital camera son off to Afghan?
sunflowersuffolk
Posts: 411 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
I want to get my son a tough dust proof small digital camera as he's being deployed to Afghanistan very shortly as a medic.
He doesn't want me to spend much as it may get tough conditions but not sure what to get. If I get a really cheap one, it probably won't last long.
I've seen reviews for Panasonic Lumix FT10 for £155 from Play.com and this is top of my budget.
Can anyone give advice on anything cheaper please? pref under £100.
Also what accessories are needed, exactly which card is best.
Thanks for any help
He doesn't want me to spend much as it may get tough conditions but not sure what to get. If I get a really cheap one, it probably won't last long.
I've seen reviews for Panasonic Lumix FT10 for £155 from Play.com and this is top of my budget.
Can anyone give advice on anything cheaper please? pref under £100.
Also what accessories are needed, exactly which card is best.
Thanks for any help
0
Comments
-
This FufiFilm would seem to fit the bill, but is £151:
"Whereas some cameras would quake in their cases, the gallant FinePix XP10 would charge to battle. Shockproof (1m), Waterproof (3m), Freezeproof (-10°) and Dustproof, this little camera is as hard as nails!"0 -
I would suggest most digital cameras are robust. Fujifilm FinePix was my first digtal. I have had it for many years, it is indestructable. Never been to a war zone but it has certainly seen some "action".
I would get him something small and light. Lumix FT10 seems like an excellent choice, but I would avoid play.com. See here> http://www.johnlewis.com/231050674/Product.aspx?SearchTerm=lumix+FT10
This one might be a cheaper alternative http://www.johnlewis.com/231193323/Product.aspx
These might seem better value, but I would avoid anything with AA batteries http://www.johnlewis.com/231197769/Product.aspx
http://www.johnlewis.com/231192094/Product.aspx
Memory cards are cheap buy him a big one (or two?). I try to stick with better known brand names. http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDHC-Secure-Digital-Card/dp/B000VUVA62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299933264&sr=8-1
You might consider a camera bag and possibly a spare battery.
Good luck to your son. I hope he has a laptop so he can download & send his photos and speak to you via Skype?"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:0 -
Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. Missile, I think I'll go for the Lumix FT10 (its his birthday also while out there) and good idea, I'll use John Lewis as they are so reliable. He does have a laptop and has been busy loading it with films books etc and also ipod. We have skype but wasn't sure if he'll be able to use it there.
Thanks again0 -
sunflowersuffolk hope your son has a safe tour.
My Airborne Brothers will be returning soon fronm Afghan.
Live in sudbury suffolk, more of a thorn myself :-)0 -
sunflowersuffolk wrote: ».... We have skype but wasn't sure if he'll be able to use it there.....
He can use Skype anywhere he can get an internet connection.
If Garry The Tank Commander can do it .... :T
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/garys-war/4od"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
