CCTV real or fake? good idea?

Options
2»

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I discussed CCTV with the neighbourhood policeman and he said I might as well get a dummy one as the real thing, because even on expensive systems the pictures they get are so poor it could be anyone.

I've been told that our local council CCTV operators can read the tax discs on parked cars.

But that won't happen with cameras costing £20 or £200.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Little_Miss_Determined
    Options
    What about sprinklers?
    [STRIKE]December low - £3012 January low - £2589[/STRIKE]
    February low -£2434
    Loan -£1075
    In 2011, I aim to grow £120 pounds worth of produce. (£0 so far)
    I'm also aiming to cook 100 new things before I buy a new cookbook. (82/100)
    Declutter 189/199
  • Mr_Oink
    Mr_Oink Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    Options
    To get any decent facial recognition, you need good light and great zoom. This kind of thing:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CCTV-Sony-CCD-27x-Zoom-weatherproof-PTZ-Dome-D-N-Camera-/120380578481?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item1c073ddab1

Will do the job, but with the following caveats:
    1. You have to track you targets
    2. You need an extra PTZ controller
    3. You need to run cables
    4. You need something to record it to at full resolution
    5. You may be watching something, whilst out of frame something else happens.
    6. CCTV can become an obsession, takes over your life and can actually ruin your life

If you have kids sitting on, or leaning against a wall one of the most effective 'fixes' is fresh clear grease from an auto factors/Halfords. Smear all surfaces where teenagers sit or lean. It takes a few days of 'regreasing' but sooner or later they will foxtrot Oscar elsewhere - or at lease stop sitting on walls :-)
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the two places I've worked for are anything to go by the problem with CCTV is not the cameras.

They give loads of details but the problem is always recording quality. The recording quality makes them next to useless for identifying people unless you can zoom in on them while there doing what ever there not meant to be.
  • Mr_Oink
    Mr_Oink Posts: 1,012 Forumite
    Options
    Mankysteve wrote: »
    If the two places I've worked for are anything to go by the problem with CCTV is not the cameras.

They give loads of details but the problem is always recording quality. The recording quality makes them next to useless for identifying people unless you can zoom in on them while there doing what ever there not meant to be.

Depends what you use to capture the input. The cheap Chinese origin DVR's are not much good. At the other end of the scale some of the Dedicated Micro's kit is just stunning - but it's like I say, it can become an obsession.

http://www.dedicatedmicros.com/europe/regional_home.php
  • KillerWatt
    KillerWatt Posts: 1,655 Forumite
    Options
    Esoog wrote: »
    Must be a lot of proper, we have all singing all dancing infra-red cameras at work...and they're rubbish. :| And I'm talking government (to be not so specific) here
    If it is like anything else in government, then the project went over budget, over time, and the only part of the deal that was fully completed was the backhander.
    Remember kids, it's the volts that jolt and the mills that kill.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Mankysteve wrote: »

Or you record a wide angle image at megapixel quality, which gives you enough data you can use digital zoom on a part of the image after the event. Also digital motion sensing in the camera can auto-follow the action.

But not cheap.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure