We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Safe Mode

My sister in law has an acer laptop which is used on a daily basis. I was asked to have a look at it because in their words 'it wasn't working properly'. Turns out they have had a problem for nearly a month and it hasn't been booting into Vista properly so they have been using it everyday by booting into Safe Mode with networking.

After a quick look at it, I noticed that everything is out of date including the virus checker I had previously installed for them. It wouldn't let me do a system restore and when I explained to them that the best bet would be for them to save whatever was on it that they wanted to keep (there were 3 user names I only had the password for 1) and I would restore it to the factory default for them. There attitude was why! it works fine the way we are using it.

So my question is - How safe is it to continually use a system using this method? I've tried explaining it to them that it's not good for the laptop to be constantly used like this but they won't listen. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Dream as if you'll live forever - live as if you'll die today

Comments

  • thebyp
    thebyp Posts: 245 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Theres no great risk there, your essentially using the OS without all the bloat that comes with it. Clearly the AV will need updating.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 14,190 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    kt33uk wrote: »
    My sister in law has an acer laptop which is used on a daily basis. I was asked to have a look at it because in their words 'it wasn't working properly'. Turns out they have had a problem for nearly a month and it hasn't been booting into Vista properly so they have been using it everyday by booting into Safe Mode with networking.

    After a quick look at it, I noticed that everything is out of date including the virus checker I had previously installed for them. It wouldn't let me do a system restore and when I explained to them that the best bet would be for them to save whatever was on it that they wanted to keep (there were 3 user names I only had the password for 1) and I would restore it to the factory default for them. There attitude was why! it works fine the way we are using it.

    So my question is - How safe is it to continually use a system using this method? I've tried explaining it to them that it's not good for the laptop to be constantly used like this but they won't listen. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
    Just walk away Renee offer turned down, feel free to wash hands , tell your sister in laws brother/sister(IE your oh) what you suggested and sleep easy.
    4.8kWp 12x400W Longhi 9.6 kWh battery Giv-hy 5.0 Inverter, WSW facing Essex . Aint no sunshine ☀️ Octopus gas fixed 5.07 + Octopus Intelligent Flux leccy

    CEC Email energyclub@moneysavingexpert.com
  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    safe mode disables a lot of functionality which they will discover eventually
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • thebyp wrote: »
    Theres no great risk there, your essentially using the OS without all the bloat that comes with it. Clearly the AV will need updating.

    I agree it won't cause any damage to the machine ... but not sure the AV (or any other security) will even load in safe mode.
  • thebyp
    thebyp Posts: 245 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    nope, anti virus will need to be cranked up each time.
  • birkee
    birkee Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    How annoying is that!
    They ask for help, and then tell you they are not accepting your input into resolving their problems.
    Let em get on with it.

    I REALLY hate that "while you're here and doing nothing, can you sort out my PC for me" attitude...... "Users".
  • kt33uk
    kt33uk Posts: 466 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    i've told them it's not a good way to be using the laptop but hey will they listen - No! So my attitude now is if it gets worse and won't work they know where the nearest local pc repair shop is. And i'll tell you it'll cost a hell of a lot more than the thanks they would have to give me. :rotfl:
    Dream as if you'll live forever - live as if you'll die today
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.